Convert 10W MR11 HID to LED?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can you convert my 10W MR11 light head to LED? What's the cost and turnaround time? Can the new LED light head be purchased to go with my slimline canister and 4500MAH battery?

Can you convert my 10W MR11 light head to LED? What's the cost and turnaround time? Can the new LED light head be purchased to go with my slimline canister and 4500MAH battery?

Hi Zimm17,

It is possible to convert your MR11 light head to an LED. It costs $150 plus shipping.

We gut your light and build a new LED head on your existing metal housing. The lumen output will go up and the light will be more durable.

While here we will go over the light and take care of any minor repairs the light needs - cord, switch, battery connectors if necessary. The additional minor repairs if needed would be just the cost of the parts.

Best,
Ag

When you upgrade the 10w HID head to LED for $150, do you end up with the LED 500 or the LED 700?

Secondly, is there a protection circuit in place to prevent the user from over-discharging the NiMh battery pack in the slimline canister??

When you upgrade the 10w HID head to LED for $150, do you end up with the LED 500 or the LED 700?

Secondly, is there a protection circuit in place to prevent the user from over-discharging the NiMh battery pack in the slimline canister??

Hi Brian,

The 10W HID upgrade from an MR11 is to the LED 700. There is a voltage meter that will stop charging the battery at 13.5 to 14V.

Best,
Kathleen

Hi Brian,

The 10W HID upgrade from an MR11 is to the LED 700. There is a voltage meter that will stop charging the battery at 13.5 to 14V.

Best,
Kathleen

Thanks for the info the upgrade is to LED 700 but the other half of my question was related to battery discharge, not charging. My concern (and question) is if there is a circuit to turn off the LED to prevent over discharging the NiMh pack too far during use.

When using any our lights with the battery they were designed to go with deep discharge is not a concern. When power supply is no longer suffient to keep the head running the light will go out. At the that point the switch should be turned off to protect the life of the battery.

-Jess

Back
Top Bottom