Controlled Emergency Ascent Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Kaffphine
ok, that makes sense. And this is manditory practice in all agencies, specifily PADI? .... Had some pretty messed up training, still checking up on it.
Can't speak for 'em all, but SSI, NASDS, NAUI & PADI do require the CESA be successfully demonstrated before certification. I suspect all the agancies require it.
Rick

I'm having problems picturing this... an ascent arrest line? In my OW (which admittly wasn't 'by the book')we did CESA's in open water, not even a line for refererce. In the classes I've been tagging along/helping out with up here, there's a line for visual reference, but neither the instructor nor student is in contact with it. I'm curious as to how this works.

Firstly, I don't know what agency you were certified through. I can only speak to PADI.

Here is part of what is required:

Setting Up the Exercise

You must use a vertical control line that is buoyed by a surface float (recommended - at least 13 mm/1 / 2 inch in diameter for ease in grasping). Ensure that the line is either tied off firmly at the bottom or held down with sufficient weight to enable you to stop the ascent at any time by grasping it with a hand or leg wrap while holding the student firmly.
These measures assure that you can stop the ascent if the diver doesn’t exhale continuously, holds the breath or has any other problem.
You conduct the controlled emergency swimming ascent one student at a time. During this skill, you must maintain physical contact with the student and the control line.
Before initiating the ascent, make sure the student is neutrally buoyant.
The fin pivot exercise is one way to do this....

Personally, I use a leg wrap. This enables me to grasp one of the student's BC straps in one hand, put the other on their 2nd stage to feel for "ahhhh" AND maintain full control on the line.

~SubMariner~

I just got certified two weeks ago...
Our instructor had a simple method to avoid cheating... He simply shut-off the air at the bottom. He also wanted us to start when we realized we were out of air, not before.
The same was for the OOA and air sharing. We did all of this at around 20'

Originally posted by cpalerm
I ... He simply shut-off the air at the bottom.

Yikes, I think that would violate the standards of the two agencies I certify through.

Their lawyer: "So, Mr. Neil, what was the last action you took before the deceased headed toward the surface?"

Neil

He simply shut-off the air at the bottom. He also wanted us to start when we realized we were out of air, not before.

Neils is right... I don't know ANY agency that would condone this sort of irresponsible behaviour.

Palerm, we're not here to belittle you or your training. So please don't get offended. However, I strongly suggest that you report that Instructor to whatever training agency he belongs to. What he is doing is dangerous! :eek:

If you don't do it for yourself, please do it for any future students this person may inflict this "training" upon.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom