Controlled Emergency Ascent Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
On my checkout dives, we did controlled emergency ascents at 20ft. Does every OW instructer have students practice this? Is it incuring an unnessary risk, or would it be even riskier to have no practice doing it, in the event of an emergency? Thanks. :confused:

I can only speak to the PADI OW course.

In short, Yes it is normal, yes it is nessesary, and yes, under supervision and control of an instructor the risk is present but is minimal. Diving itself is a risky sport, just as sky diving is, motocross etc... This drill is a requirement, and must be completed in order to obtain your OW card. I'm glad you brought it up though, it indicates to me that you are most likely getting trained properly.

In PADI CESA is a mandatory exercise in both confined and open water.

Since this is such a critical skill there are very specific criteria to which the Instructor must adhere. These are all for the safety of both the student and the Instructor when performing this skill.

For example, did you know that the line has to be of a certain thickness? That the Instructor MUST have at control of BOTH the line AND the student at all times?

As with any scuba activity, there is some risk associated with performing this exercise. However, if all the Standards are properly followed, the risk is minimized.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to email me.

Take care, eh?!

~SubMariner~

SubMariner- "For example, did you know that the line has to be of a certain thickness? That the Instructor MUST have at control of BOTH the line AND the student at all times? "

To what line are you refering to?

Ohhhh I remeber doing that. We kept the regulators in during the ascent. I was honest and didn't breath at all (just exhaled the whole way) afterwards the other students were telling me the breathed in on the way up. It did seem like a looong way up.

I just wanted to hear it from someone else that it was required/recommended. It was a PADI course that I just took, and it sounds like my instructor followed the "letter of the law", safety line and all. Thanks for the input.

Scott
Tampa

Its the same in NAUI... you have to have a line secured to the bottom to arrest ascent if the diver is NOT blowing bubbles. The big issue is barotrauma, and the instructor has to be certain that the breath is NOT being held.

In addition, the ROA is limited to 40 f/m and the ESA can not be done on the third dive of the day. The maximum depth an ESA can be attempted in the class is 40ft, but NEVER, EVER without an instructor holding on to the student and the line.

I promote the "N" sound as it uses less air to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom