Controlled Ascent Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In mentioning 20 feet I'm of course saying that that is your deepest depth, but yes I still ascend slowly just as a good habbit. It would be interesting however to know if it is possible to come up too fast from 20 for the respiratory system to offgas enough N to be safe- assuming no reverse block. Just an interesting question.

Everytime you ascend it should be controlled and slow, now your dive table (which I use) or your computer will tell you when to make a decompression stop if one is needed. I have been on dives in which the max. depth was 25 ft. and no decompression stop was neccesary, and I have been on dives that are 50+ ft. max. depth in which decompression stops are needed. When you take your open water course, your instructor will explain the tables and computer to you. Hope this helps

Everytime you ascend it should be controlled and slow, now your dive table (which I use) or your computer will tell you when to make a decompression stop if one is needed. I have been on dives in which the max. depth was 25 ft. and no decompression stop was neccesary, and I have been on dives that are 50+ ft. max. depth in which decompression stops are needed. When you take your open water course, your instructor will explain the tables and computer to you. Hope this helps

I think you are refering to a safety stop. Decompression stops only happen in emergency situations for recreational divers.

Good stuff. A good habit of slow ascents never goes to waste. Safety is where it is at to ensure fun diving ahead. Good luck w/your certs. Welcome to the site.

Back
Top Bottom