Ascent Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bushcat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi

I am enrolled in an open water class and have managed to give myself a bit of a fright / anxiety so therefore I am looking for advice so I don’t do it again.

I can take things quite literally and all the previous exits from the pool which was about 3 meters deep were done with empty BCD so I’ve had it hammered into me empty BCD fin to ascend. Inflate BCD full at surface.

I was in a tri lam drysuit with a steel 12 tank full with about 40lbs of weight in salt water.

I think in all honesty it was a bit too much for me coming from the pool. I had done a drysuit orientation previously btw.

I think you can see where this going!

For 2 ascents 6m and 4m I have emptied the BCD and the drysuit also had no air in it and tried to fin to the surface which I did manage but it left me with feelings of OMG am I going to make it etc.

The question is when the instructor signals lets ascend/go up am I supposed to establish neutral buoyancy first prior to ascending?

Thanks

Start neutral. Ascend slowly venting your BC enough that it stays neutral (takes pratice) but not fully empty. You need to make sure to vent enough so they air volume remaining isn't enough to cause a uncontrolled ascent. Same with drysuit.

Sorry missed a detail we were moving from doing an exercise negatively bouyant straight to ascent. Hence the empty BCD.

the simple answer is you should always be neutral.

there is no need to empty your bc before ascending. however, controlling the gas in the bc is very important. remember......as you ascend, the gas in your bc (and dry suit) will expand. this causes an increase in buoyancy. you need to remain in control of your asent at all times.

your instructor is most likely trying to teach you to kick up instead of floating up. but that doesn't mean being negatively buoyant and then fighting to get to the surface. it means being in control. you should be able to stop and hover at any point during the ascent.

Balanced rig ftw

So being heavy no air in BCD and no visual references what I felt could be considered normal? ie a bit panicky and heavy

Many new divers are overweighted during their initial dives. As you settle on your gear, you'll need to experiment to see where you are weight wise. At the safety stop with an empty-ish tank, you should be neutral with an empty, or nearly empty BC. If you sink, try removing a bit of weight.

It's also often taught to dump air before beginning ascent. This is not good advice as you've seen. Depending on weighting, dumping all air can result in the diver sinking. What should be taught is that the diver should be prepared to dump air during the ascent as expansion in the bladder will make the diver more buoyant as they ascend.

For properly weighted warm water divers, dumping all air is no big deal as swimming up is not a problem. For divers needing more weight to counteract thick wetsuits or drysuits, dumping all air is a problem. In all cases, starting the ascent neutral and dumping as you ascend is the best practice.

The question is when the instructor signals lets ascend/go up am I supposed to establish neutral buoyancy first prior to ascending?
Yes, take all the time you need to get neutral. Then take steps towards the surface. For example ascend 3 meters/10 feet and then stop. Get neutral again and only then ascend further to the next stop.

This makes diving life much easier and way more fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom