Contradictions in conservatism (or safety)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We know that DCS happens to divers within their NDL’s. IMHO and experience minor DCS happens a lot more frequently then the statistics show since it is often never reported.

Last edited:
I use a Suunto D4i with their RGBM algorithm. Yes, it seems to work for me. Wish it had a little bigger display, but it's easy to understand what it's telling me.

edit: I also have a Cressi Archimedes, but not sure what it runs.
Went and looked in the manual. It uses Buhlmann ZH-L16

edit 2: I've only used the Cressi a couple times in the pool to see if it works. It wll be interesting to see if there's any difference between them in actual use.

Last edited:
I use a Suunto D4i with their RGBM algorithm. Yes, it seems to work for me. Wish it had a little bigger display, but it's easy to understand what it's telling me.

edit: I also have a Cressi Archimedes, but not sure what it runs
Hi @woodcarver

The Cressi runs Cressi RGBM. So, you have two computers running deco algorithms that would generally be considered to be at the conservative end of the spectrum. It sounds like that is working out fine for you at this time. It this changes in the future, you know that there are computers at the more liberal end of the spectrum.

All the available choices in computers today have more than enough time or ability, to produce ascents that are sufficiently low risk. Its up to the diver to adhere to the basic "good dive practice" rules to supplement and achieve safe diving.

The problem with trying to select a algo based on anecdotal observations, and even the causal reading of case reports, is that the underlying cause of most undeserved / unexplained injury, is beyond the control of the model or algo. The model and algo has control of just two aspects of the planning / execution of a dive. The diver and the conditions has influence over the other 15 aspects or so causes of injury. This is why injury can occur within the bounds of the model.

dcs_risk_factors.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom