Continuous ring bungees. Yay/Nay.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveClimbRide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_20210623_113020.jpg

I have a nomad LTZ and the (ring) bungees are setup like this currently. I want to make the bungees shorter as the ring is basically at front of my chest. However I don't want to make it very difficult to pull forward like I've seen on other people's harnesses. My idea is to make a much longer loop that connects both rings together. This would hopefully put the rings in a better place and as the bungee will now be longer it should be easier to stretch the rings out. Thoughts?

I don’t know Nomad but I dive with a Diamond that has a continuous bungee. It runs over the back and is connected on both ends via boltsnaps to the shoulder D-rings. It works OK. Maybe it could make it more difficult to fix a bungee failure (not a big problem) or would require one more movement to remove a cylinder. Otherwise it works without a problem.

I think that he's referencing the (unfortunate) Dive Rite ring bungee system. I'd start with replacing the quick link and tying the bungee into the opposing side loop. This should give you an extra 3?ish cm worth of unstretched bungee and may help.

I'd just ditch the ring bungees entirely and use loop bungees.

View attachment 666999

I have a nomad LTZ and the (ring) bungees are setup like this currently. I want to make the bungees shorter as the ring is basically at front of my chest. However I don't want to make it very difficult to pull forward like I've seen on other people's harnesses. My idea is to make a much longer loop that connects both rings together. This would hopefully put the rings in a better place and as the bungee will now be longer it should be easier to stretch the rings out. Thoughts?
One way you can shorten this slightly without buying new shorter bungees is to girth hitch the bungee directly to the webbing (i.e. eliminate the 2 inches of quick link and some length in the bungee itself to form the hitch. You can get a bit more shortening by doing this with the right bungee in the left webbing loop and left bungee in the right webbing loop. Or if you have your heart set on it being a single piece, just hitch the 2 bungees to each other and maybe use one of the quick links to connect that to the center of the webbing to keep the whole thing from falling out of those retention loops.

One way you can shorten this slightly without buying new shorter bungees is to girth hitch the bungee directly to the webbing (i.e. eliminate the 2 inches of quick link and some length in the bungee itself to form the hitch. You can get a bit more shortening by doing this with the right bungee in the left webbing loop and left bungee in the right webbing loop. Or if you have your heart set on it being a single piece, just hitch the 2 bungees to each other and maybe use one of the quick links to connect that to the center of the webbing to keep the whole thing from falling out of those retention loops.
Holy thread revival Batman. By all means continue to preach this system that only one company sells as stock and most end users replace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom