Continuing Education... Your thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LavaSurfer:
I know instructors that will do personal (one on One) training. They still have to follow the basics of thier organization i.e. PADI NAUI etc. but they will do whatever you are willing to pay for.

Teaching experienced students usually does not involved much control on the Instructors part. As I teach experienced divers classes, it is more of a give and take discussion in the classroom and going diving together in the open water. Ultimately the goal is to send in the certification form to get the rating they are after. I don't spend a lot of time talking down at them because it is not necessary. If in general discussion they have proven knowledgeable and they demonstrate proficiency in the water, I'll submit the form for them. The biggest requirement by the agencies as far as specialties goes is ... you got it ... show me the money (buy the materials.)

Ken

joe rock:
There are two topics I've seen get lots of debate on this board. They are:
  1. the value of AOW and "when" it should be taken
  2. the value of additional courses - "it's just the agencies making money."

How confident were you immediately after your OW and what's your opinion on continuing your diving education?

I think everyone agrees that AOW does not make you an "advanced" diver, but it does encourage continued diving in a controlled environment, with professionals there to help if nec. Maybe it should be called OW-2 to keep from making new divers over confident?

I do think there should be a slight pause after OW to dive a few "fun" dives with a competent (at least rescue level) diver, who can assist if nec. This is to keep from being distracted by the task loading of trying to master buoyancy (especially if diving dry) while learning the other skills in AOW. Once buoyancy is reasonably mastered, they should continue on and learn some of the basics that go along with diving (i.e. boat, nav, deep, night, drift and maybe wreck) to get an overall and well rounded experience, and if nothing else, teach them how to be careful in those environments and situations. Advanced education also helps to teach you what you don't know and perhaps keep you from getting into trouble when you are a new diver. Many new divers dive with buddies who are also pretty new, and neither are truly trained to assist each other in an emergency/panic situation, etc.

This is just my opinion, but too many divers are turned loose to fend for themselves at too early of stage in their dive levels. I know I was, and the problem is that you don't know it yet. (Maybe AOW should be required to be part of OW). After that the only education that should really be required should be "Rescue". This teaches you help yourself and to be a better buddy.

The sooner someone gets these basic training items out of the way, the better overall and safer diver/dive buddy they will be.

It is the ones who refrain from proper (continued) training and experience and think they are good divers who don't need to get further training, that make themselves a liability to their buddies, and give solo diving a good argument. (About the only good argument for it).

(Just my opinion). :wink:

-Steve

Solitude Diver:
This is just my opinion, but too many divers are turned loose to fend for themselves at too early of stage in their dive levels. I know I was, and the problem is that you don't know it yet. (Maybe AOW should be required to be part of OW). After that the only education that should really be required should be "Rescue". This teaches you help yourself and to be a better buddy.

The sooner someone gets these basic training items out of the way, the better overall and safer diver/dive buddy they will be.

It is the ones who refrain from proper (continued) training and experience and think they are good divers who don't need to get further training, that make themselves a liability to their buddies, and give solo diving a good argument. (About the only good argument for it).

(Just my opinion). :wink:

-Steve

Steve, some great points - I agree. I would rather buddy with someone like TSandM (and others who posted on this thread) who were realistic about their skills early on than someone who thinks they're mastered it all after 4 dives. I have a dive buddy that in many ways has some better "diving skills" than I have, but things they do sometimes because of a "lack of education" scares the hell out of me. Leads to some heated discussions during surface intervales :05: I have an awful lot to learn, I think I know what I don't know; but I think my conservatism in diving makes me pretty safe (than again I'm an old fart don't need to prove anything and want to live a little longer).

Fish_Whisperer:
And really, isn't EVERY dive part of one's continuing education? Maybe not for you folks who have a thousand dives or more, but personally, I learn something new on nearly every dive I make, and I don't foresee the point where I'll ever be able to say, "I've seen it all and done it all. I know everything there is to know." If I ever get to that point, then diving will either be fatal, or it will be the most boring thing in the world, and either way, I'll be hanging up my fins for good.

Good observation..

If you feel you have nothing more to learn you'd better stop volantarily or it will probably happen unvolantarily. You can always learn something no matter how small it may seem, at the time, under the right conditions it will prove significant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom