Contaminated Air: A Personal Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Horrible experience. Sounds like an ambulance ride to an Emergency Room would have been more appropriate, but when you are struggling to just survive - it's not always easy to make the best call. I would not have bothered with the optional SS from 36 meters tho.
I was in Asia. Nothing unusual about the air in the cylinder. I smelled and breathed it predive. I've only just started smelling my air after my most recent dive instructor told me that smell is a better indicator.
Eh, smelling and tasting compressed air won't protect you from much. Sure, if it smells or tastes bad, reject it, but dangerous CO levels can still exist with no smell or taste from other contaminants.

Your description is consistent with CO toxicity alright. The only way to know for sure is with an electronic test from a CO analyzer and those are still all too rare in the field. With that experience, it would certainly have been good to test the tank and your own blood both for CO, but too late now.

There is a false sense of security associated with electric compressors tho. Even with no CO intake, one can produce CO internally if it gets hot from extended use, especially in a tropical climate, when it starts to partially burn its own lubricating oil. I have personally seen 17 ppm on a reliable tester from a reputable electric compressor and more is possible for sure.

Obtaining an Analox CO tester may not be easy in Asia but it can be done and cal-gas can be obtained locally. A good idea for any diver. Not a popular idea as old timers in the dive industry, including agencies and DAN, all developed before the technology was available and just do not fully appreciate the risks - but even DAN admits that it has no idea how common the problem is. :idk: We do know the risks and possibilities are real and that so little is being done that no one knows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom