Contact lenses with full-face mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i also am blind without contacs or glasses. What are you going to do if your mask is knocked off and have to open your eyes under water? To avoid this problem i had my mask sent to an optomitrist who put almost my exact prescription in my mask. So no my mask is another form of glasses. Cost a little more but works excellent.

DanPHudson:
What are you going to do if your mask is knocked off and have to open your eyes under water?

Its really difficult to get a full face mask knocked off by accident.
I've also been able to keep the contacts in place with my eyes open without a mask on - you just squint a bit more than usual and don't blink too hard

I don't care to "advertise" on this forum but there is an inexpensive product available for public safety divers needing corrective lenses in their masks. If you are interested, please check out...

http://www.diverescueintl.com/doc/public_safety.pdf

On page 7 of the 8 page PDF (page 48 in the DRI catalog) there are adhesive lenses with a range of 1.00 to 3.00 Diopters in 0.25 increments. Cost is $35.

To order these lenses, call Dive Rescue International at 800-248-3483. The part number is #8476.

I hope this helps!

Gary D. you said your daughter had the eye surgery hmmmm a whild back I was told by my DM instructor that if I had the surgery I would have to stay out of the water for 120 days. Has anyone else heard this information? I have not called a dr. to find out just wanted to know from real divers.

Hey - just a note, this thread is over a year old.

Umm - depending on the surgery will depend on the out time. For me, I had lasic last monday. My out time told to me by my Dr, staff, and printed on the paper is 6 weeks. In fact, I just finished the antibiotic today. :)

Relating to the original post - I have numerous FFM dives with AGA and had experience absolutely no issues with it regarding my eyes. I actually find the FFM very comfortable.

I dive with gas permeable contact lenses in a regular mask. Of course, my eye doctor has fits about it! Seems to think that there are all kind of organisms that can cause problems in doing so. My theory is that if it was that bad you shouldn't be in the water, contact lenses or not!

As far as worrying about being kicked - not a problem if you just stay out of people's fins.

no problem. I dive Hard Hat but usually have my contacts in. Never had any problems even in the chamber at 300 fsw.

I am close to the same vision as you. As I got into my mid 40's, I found that with contacts, I needed reading glasses to see my computer screen. My optometrist suggested mono-vision, wearing just one contact. Doing this allows my left, dominate eye with the contact to see distant while my right eye can see my gauges. The brain is an amazing, compensating by providing uninterrupted vision from near to far objects.

Works really great for me.

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom