Contact Lenses or Prescription Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've decided to go with contact lense for several reasons, most of which have already been stated. I don't want to spend ~$200 for my first mask and it seems that masks with higher diopter's do not work well (?).

Thanks for all the advice - its been really helpful.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul & Leila
...it seems that masks with higher diopter's do not work well (?).
Paul

Don't know where you got the impression that quality lenses at higher diopters can't be installed in masks. As far as I know, that's clearly not true.

I'm not talking about 'stick on' lenses, I'm talking about optically ground replacements for the plano lenses found in masks. If it can be done in glasses, it can be done just as well in a mask.

Cheers,

I think I jumped to that conclusion ... thanks for clarifying. The cost is the main reason that I am going to stick with contacts for now. Besides, I'd rather save the money for LASIK :)

I was worried about this before I started, too. particularly because my preseription is -7.0 and if I lose contacts I am pretty helpless. However, I use daily disposables and they are fine. Haven't lost one yet. My worry about a prescription mask would be that it might be knocked off and lost and then I really wouldbe in trouble. Maybe I'm just a worrier! People with 20/20 don't appreciate these deep fears. i have low viz every day without my contacts!

One of my former lives was as a Contact Lens Product Mgr. with CibaVision and I have competed in Triathlons & dived with contact lenses for almost 20 years without incident. However, I would urge you to discuss this with your Optometrist (OD), preferably with one that dives! I agree with earlier posts on the economy and convenience of lenses but certain lens are not well suited to this activity: hard lens and low water lenses (older conventional lenses mostly). Frequent replacement lenses or Daily disposables are a better choice since they are less prone to come out of the eye - I have done several classes with mask swaps without problems. I would still recommend that you keep a spare pair in your "Save A Dive" kit and that you swap out of them in between dives and use a cleaner to ensure contaminants did not get introduced into them and thus into your eye (InstaCare would be my first choice, although One Bottle solutions are probably adequate). There are some nasty bugs that can be transmitted via pools & ocean/lake water into lenses so don't get complacent about getting them out of your eyes...

I had this same concern. I opted to use my old gas permeable(spelling) contacts. No problems at all. Even opened my eyes in the pool during the full mask clearing while getting certified. Just got back from Cayman Brac and didn't have any problems with the salt water either.

Best of luck on your decision.

I am an optician who wears a prescription mask.
I wear contacts occasionally, but I wear toric lenses and sometimes I don't like my vision with them.
I would say if you like wearing contacts and don't have problems with them then go for it. You might want to talk to your dr about
daily disposables. kind of pricey but if you only wear them occasionally they wont be too bad

as for prescription masks I really like mine and don't worry about having to change them often. Adults eyes ussually are pretty stable and your prescription doesn't necessarily have to be changed every time.

My wife and I just had our first pool session - we wore our contact lenses and didn't have a problem with them. It was difficult to refrain from opening our eyes, however, as we are used to having them open when swimming :). We had to first breath w/ the regulator w/o our masks and then swim two laps w/o our masks while breathing through the regulator. We both kept our contacts :) We also had to do the mask purge/removal-purge but that was a lot easier since we were stationary and not swimming. The conclusion so far is that we'll be fine with contacts.

I have always opted for prescription lenses in my mask.
I have dry eyes, and can only wear the ultra thin contacts.
I am near sighted as well, my lenses are -2 diopters.
I am actaully -1.75 and -, 2.125 but most mask lenses come in 1/2 diopter increments
:blfish:
Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom