Contact lenses and diving -Questions Welcome - by Idocsteve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 43 and am saving my money up for longer arms. I don't like putting stuff in my eyes.
I get a chuckle out anyone over 40 who claims they don't need glasses.

The human body was designed to last about that long originally. Any longer is a gift of technology. So enjoy your bonus years, take care of your health, get your eyes examined (the only time a medical professional can see your veins without cutting on you), and get glasses or inserts.

The vast majority of people need glasses when they're over 40 but there are exceptions.

Nearsighted people need glasses for distance but quite often they can remove them and read clearly without glasses. Many of these patients opt for bifocals, forr convenience purposes, and the bottom part of the lens is close to zero power, the optical term being "plano".

Some people are naturally monovision, and one eye sees clear for distance, the other for reading. Their binocularity may not be all that good, and night vision may be adversely affected, but they function fairly well without glasses..sometimes their entire lives.

Other people walk around in a 20/50 or worse "fog" and claim they see perfectly well distance and reading. Of course they're in denial, and when I ask them to read the 20/20 line on the chart, they lean forward in the chair, and squint, and say "Doc no one can read that!" Usually when questioned about their reading ability, they say "Oh I don't like to read". When I explain that their distance vision doesn't pass the Motor Vehicle Vision Acuity Test, they tell me that 'they see just fine' regardless of what the "law" says.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hmm, you mean they go ON the eyes, don't you?

Smarty.

Yes, that's what I mean. Contact lenses are placed on the eye, not in the eye.

It helps alleviate the fears of new contact lens patients to state it in such a manner.

The vast majority of people need glasses when they're over 40 but there are exceptions.

Nearsighted people need glasses for distance but quite often they can remove them and read clearly without glasses. Many of these patients opt for bifocals, forr convenience purposes, and the bottom part of the lens is close to zero power, the optical term being "plano".

Some people are naturally monovision, and one eye sees clear for distance, the other for reading. Their binocularity may not be all that good, and night vision may be adversely affected, but they function fairly well without glasses..sometimes their entire lives.

Other people walk around in a 20/50 or worse "fog" and claim they see perfectly well distance and reading. Of course they're in denial, and when I ask them to read the 20/20 line on the chart, they lean forward in the chair, and squint, and say "Doc no one can read that!" Usually when questioned about their reading ability, they say "Oh I don't like to read". When I explain that their distance vision doesn't pass the Motor Vehicle Vision Acuity Test, they tell me that 'they see just fine' regardless of what the "law" says.

I'm proud of the fact that at 43 I can still read the 20/15 line. But I'm not stupid. I've noticed, as much as my denile wants to reject the facts, that I have trouble reading my watch at the same distance I used to hold it. This Christmas, I was sitting next to my brother-in-law watching a ballgame and he pulled out his cheater reading glasses he'd gotten at CVS. I asked if I could put them on. At first I looked across the room and I thought, "Aha, these are no good still." Then I looked down at my watch. Reality swept in mercilessly. (But if I hold my watch out a ways I'm good. And if I can just find some longer arms!)

:mooner:

I'm proud of the fact that at 43 I can still read the 20/15 line. But I'm not stupid. I've noticed, as much as my denile wants to reject the facts, that I have trouble reading my watch at the same distance I used to hold it. This Christmas, I was sitting next to my brother-in-law watching a ballgame and he pulled out his cheater reading glasses he'd gotten at CVS. I asked if I could put them on. At first I looked across the room and I thought, "Aha, these are no good still." Then I looked down at my watch. Reality swept in mercilessly. (But if I hold my watch out a ways I'm good. And if I can just find some longer arms!)

:mooner:
I think that's why Ben Franklin invented bifocals in 1784. When I got my first pair around age 41 I think, I carried them more than I wore them at first - and my daughter noted that my distance vision was better than hers, wondering why I wore glasses? "Reading things like newspaper, watch, speedometer..."

EVERYONE should have their eyes checked every other year if not more often. What does you eye doc say...?

The human body was designed to last about that long originally. Any longer is a gift of technology. So enjoy your bonus years, (snip).

:hijack: Sorry folks, I just have to ask. Where do you that this information Don?

EVERYONE should have their eyes checked every other year if not more often. What does you eye doc say...?

I'll bet he hasn't been to an eye doctor in at least 10 years.

People that don't have difficulty with their vision tend to avoid eye doctors. They don't realize that there's a lot more to vision than 20/20, and that there are numerous ocular conditions such as glaucoma that have no symptoms until too much damage is done.

:hijack: Sorry folks, I just have to ask. Where do you that this information Don?

I think Don makes a good point. Take away modern medicine, purified water, proper storage and processing of food and modern sanitation and the average life expectancy without those things was the mid 40's. Naturally some lived older just as today. I am 65, had I been born 40 years earlier, before the coronary bypass operation was developed I would likely not have lived pass my mid 50's before dying from a heart attach.

I go tomorrow morning for my initial fitting and lessons on proper application and removal of contacts. At 50 years old, I'm just getting a bit tired of wearing glasses all the time. This topic has been an interesting read, and I'm going to forward the link to my wife, as she's considering going back to contacts again.

I've always been a bit squeamish about my eyes, and always disliked the idea of putting something on them, but I've decided it's time to quit letting such things rule me. If other people can learn to do it, then so can I.

About the only issue my optometrist expressed about going to contacts is that I have a prism in one lens, and I may end up needing readers. We'll see. If worst comes to worst, I can always go back to the glasses, but I won't know if I don't try.

It's a generality, not a rule - but in the wild, or in undeveloped countries, tends to hold true. Just be grateful for the bonus years and accept the need to take better care of yourself was my suggestion.
I think Don makes a good point. Take away modern medicine, purified water, proper storage and processing of food and modern sanitation and the average life expectancy without those things was the mid 40's. Naturally some lived older just as today. I am 65, had I been born 40 years earlier, before the coronary bypass operation was developed I would likely not have lived pass my mid 50's before dying from a heart attach.
Well, some of those might strike babies more and in undeveloped countries infant losses lower the average age expectancy significantly - but that's a different issue really, albeit somewhat related. Life threatening medical problems do tend to start showing up more around 40, increasing beyond. Dental science has helped a lot in increasing life expectancy in developed countries as it's easier to live longer if you can chew your own food. Some tribes have alternate approaches, but not good ones - and there is only so much you can do with a blender in developed countries.
I'll bet he hasn't been to an eye doctor in at least 10 years.

People that don't have difficulty with their vision tend to avoid eye doctors. They don't realize that there's a lot more to vision than 20/20, and that there are numerous ocular conditions such as glaucoma that have no symptoms until too much damage is done.
I know. Have you ever noticed a medical problem by looking at a patient's eye veins that he was no otherwise aware?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom