Consumer Survey - help us serve you better!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nocturnal Lights

Contributor
Reaction score
Dear Scubaboard Members,

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tim and I'm from Nocturnal Lights. We specialze in canister and lantern style dive lights for all kinds of divers. I would like to learn a little more about you as we'd like to think of ourselves as a "customer driven" company. If you can just take few minutes to participate in this thread I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions. This will help us service you better and build better products that suits your needs.

Here are some questions I have for you:

1. What are the factors that affect your purchasing decision when you are looking for a dive light/video light?

2. Are you comfortable with purchasing dive/video lights online? Why or why not?

3. How can we make our website better to make things more convenient for you?

4. What kind of qualities do you look for in a dive light?

5. How do you feel about a dive light that can be used as a video light?

6. When diving or shooting a video, which of these color do you prefer: Slightly yellow light, white , or blueish tint?

7. What do you like and dislike about the lights that you're currently using? (you don't have to specify the name)

8. Would a 30 day satisfaction guarantee increase your likeliness of purchasing our products?

9. For the videographers, would it be easier to purchase entire video light packages that includes the light adapters, filters, arms, etc based on your housing?

These are just some questions that I would like to start with, I would like this to be an on going participation as we're always looking for ways to improve. I may respond to your thread for additional responses.

Hi, Tim.

As you can probably tell from my other posts, I'm in the market for a new set of video lights. I haven't decided on what to get yet because I'm still not sure of what my needs are. I just know that the colors I got in my videos so far are not what I'd like them to be. Orange filter + manual white balance seems like it would give better subject color, but at the expense of the blue in the background water... so I'm back to looking at lights.

1. What are the factors that affect your purchasing decision when you are looking for a dive light/video light?

Cost is primary. I'm a hobbyist and don't have a whole lot to spend on this. Second would be brightness, and then burn time.

2. Are you comfortable with purchasing dive/video lights online? Why or why not?

Yes. It's easier than jumping on a plane to pick up the products in person. :)

I found the information on the TL20 and TL50 a bit confusing since the Notes: section on each page talks about both. So if you're looking at the TL20 page, you get TL50 information and vice versa. At first I didn't realize they were two separate products since the names are similar.

Aside from my answers to #1, a smooth beam is important. I'm not too concerned about size and weight since I would only use the lights a few times per year. I think I can live with a larger system if the cost savings would be significant... as long as it's not so heavy that it pulls me to the ocean floor.

6. When diving or shooting a video, which of these color do you prefer: Slightly yellow light, white , or blueish tint?

Not sure, but probably white... ?

7. What do you like and dislike about the lights that you're currently using? (you don't have to specify the name)

It's top heavy since the battery is not in a separate cannister. It's weak -- probably 20W halogen.

8. Would a 30 day satisfaction guarantee increase your likeliness of purchasing our products?

Maybe. Not sure if I'd get any benefit out of it since I dive infrequently and hate waiting until the last minute before ordering something for a trip.

9. For the videographers, would it be easier to purchase entire video light packages that includes the light adapters, filters, arms, etc based on your housing?

Yes... if there were some cost advantage to ordering as a package. I'll need to get new arms for whatever lights I buy, anyway.

Here's a little more info for your marketing and demographics people: I'm new to diving having only started last year and with just 9 dives so far. I can usually dive only on vacations, which might be once or twice a year. My hobbies are photography and computers, and work in video/web production... so shooting video underwater is a natural extension of what I like to do, but I'm finding that doing things underwater is a whole new game. Video quality is important to me and I do my own post-production on an NLE system at home. My videos are just for myself and to bore family and friends.

Price and quality.

Yes, I purchase many things online.

Dimensions in inches for us dumb Americans. Details on the canister such as seals, on/off switches, cord lengths, etc..

For a video light, a wide, even beam.

I personally don't have a need for 1 device to do both. I carry a small flashlight as my dive light and my video light is a canister design.

slightly yellow or white

I have a canister light by AUL, with a NIMH battery pack. Works great for my needs, wet connector makes it very convenient for video since my camcorder is handed to me after I enter the water.

Probably not.

If there is a price discount.

a) Reliability b) Performance (see below) c) Price

Yes

a) Wide even flood b) High output for daytime, very low output for night time c) Small and compact with battery pack(s) on the housing. d) Burn time

Would be concerned that it won't give a sufficiently wide and even flood and I don't like the lamp's battery mounted on the housing.

White please, especially for day time use. For night use I'd be OK with a more yellowish tint.

I have L&M Sunray Classics.
Likes: Small size and weight, low power settings, even flood
Dislikes: Have flooded 2 for no apparent reason over the last 2 seasons and the cost of repair is astronomical. Also they are not really powerful enough for day time use.

note: Despite their unreliability I bought a complete 2nd set of the Sunray lights so that I have 2 backups because when they work they are great for me.

Maybe but I'd research the light's reputation anyway.

Sure, if the package is right.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I'm listening to every word you're saying and I'm looking to make some divers and underwater videographers very delighted. After a lot of the surveys I will start providing feedbacks to everyone and we will make a lot of changes to the website to clarify some of the assumptions that people are making.

Meanwhlie keep the feedback comming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom