• I have a computer and analog guages

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I only use and trust analog guages

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Computers are for sissys

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdesola

Registered
Reaction score
This board is absolutely fantastic. I wish there were similar discussion groups for other issues in my life (personal finance, where to get fresh fruit, etc.) with as considered opinions as those offered in these pages.

My wife and I are recently certified divers and are considering investing in some initial equipment. We will be taking a trip to St. Croix in November and would like to have and be familiar with a set of regulators and gauges by that time. We are smitten with the sport and although we may only go on two or three trips a year, we both enjoy this thoroughly, have been snorkelling for years, and see this as a natural continuation of our passion for being underwater with beautiful fish (you can keep your sharks and sea snakes.)

To get to the point. We've been advised that if you're going to get just one piece of equipment, it should be a regulator. I like this advice as a regulator is much lighter than an air tank. It appears that buying just a regulator is really not an option, though. You really need to buy a regulator, a back-up or octopus, and a set of guages or a computer. My reading (mainly on this site) has lead me to consider the following expensive outfit.

Apeks 200 reg
Apeks 50 octopus
Suunto Cobra/w compass computer

As my wife and I will almost always be diving together, I am considering buying a standard set of analog guages for one of us to use. Yes it will probably be her. What can I say, I'm a guy. Suunto seems to be the way to go with an analog guage set, but I'm having trouble finding reviews on anything analog. Too boring I guess. If any of you bubblers out there have an opinion on this, though, I'd be all ears and notably appreciative.

Thanks in advance for your diver's pearls.

-David:wink:

Sounds like a very decent set of equipment you've spec'd out there. I've been considering an ATX200 for my second reg myself, and the Suunto cobra is an excellent computer. What it ultimately boils down to is what you're comfortable with and what works for you. There is a lot of individual preference that goes into selecting gear, and specs and reviews will only get you so far.

As far as analog guages are concerned, they're probably a good backup to have, but again, personal preference. I dive with a SPG in addition to my air-integrated Suunto Vytec (with a redunant Vyper in a pocket).

dtdesola once bubbled...
As my wife and I will almost always be diving together, I am considering buying a standard set of analog guages for one of us to use. Yes it will probably be her. What can I say, I'm a guy. Suunto seems to be the way to go with an analog guage set, but I'm having trouble finding reviews on anything analog. Too boring I guess. If any of you bubblers out there have an opinion on this, though, I'd be all ears and notably appreciative.

Well, my only suggestion is to not give up the gauges for the comp. Being someone that is rather involved in the computer industry (designations: ISP (candidate), CCP; certifications: MCSE, MCSA, CCA, A+, i-Net+, Network+) I would not stake my life (or even 24 hours of a dive holiday) on a $400 computer.

My suggestion: find a first stage with 2 HP ports and get a basic gauge console (depth & SPG) as well as a computer.

I want a computer I went analog for my 1st gear choice. My reason was to get to know the tables over a continued series of dives before I began trusting something I could not 2nd guess. My theory paid off because by putting off the computer I found the extra $$ I needed to add tanks to my inventory. I also have a solid working knowledge of my favorite dives.

Good luck to you, and safe diving. I love GEAR FEVER!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom