Considering Taiwan for a diving a week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Taiwan divers, I have a LOT to ask you.
I am a seasoned SEA diver with more than 15 years diving about 2 or 3 times a year, usually Indonesia or the Phils but completely newbie to the wheres and hows in diving Taiwan.
I am considering this option for let's say roughly a week, end of April.

I am a serious UW photographer doing both macro (keen on nudis but not exclusively :every critter less than a cm can be my favorite photo friend. ) and wide angle (looking for coral sites but also big stuff ....hammerhead... uh...).

1- So at this period of the year which dive spots in Taiwan would you recommend to prioritize (macro and/or WA). Also which dive centers who can speak at least little english should I inquire to? (I am not adverse to dive centers contacting me directly if they are used to managing those demanding photographers like me.)
My wife is non diving/non snorkeling , hence I have to locate where a decent hotel with a pool, a beach or some activities enjoyable for her are available while I am diving.

2- Any opinion on flying then (or from ) Okinawa and how the diving would compare between the two destinations?

3- I am wondering where to spend an additional diving week after/before Taiwan : would you go to the Philippines (been there errh.... 6,7...10 times?) or Okinawa (would be new for me)?

Many many thanks in advance.

Hi Luke

I have read lots of your articles about SEA and it helped me a lot, want to say thank you first!
dive sites in Taiwan can be roughly divided into 2 parts: North and South

North sites:
season:
prone to north-east monsoons, and water temperature drops in winter, which are better dived between June and September.
personal recommended dive sites:
secret garden in Keelung for both wide angle and macro
82.5k is the best for macro
above you can shore dive
as for boat dive:
keelung island reef, good for wide angle, big sea fans, strong current.
there's a wreck and some artificial reefs lies in bay, also worth a visit.

South sites can be dived year round, if there's no strong wind.
there are 4 main sites:
Green island, Kenting, Orchid Island, and Little Ryukyu
I personally recommend you go to green island
April and May is a good time to dive green island, because it's not high season yet, and there's chance to dive both side of the island. during high season it can be crowded, and the wind is not that strong in April.
green island offers very good viz, and some nice macro opportunities.
the hammerhead dive site is also in green island, but I am not sure if April is still in season... as I know it's Feb and March, when the surface is still rough.
To go to green island you will need to take a boat from Kenting or Taitung.
Going to Kenting and Taitung is another story...

I have never been to Orchid island, can't command it. it's another island, farer then green island from Taiwan main island.

Kenting is very famous for diving, and is easy to go to. but.... there is only one dive site I personally recommend, and it's mostly for macro, it's called Hejie. 82.5k and Hejie are our Lembeh in Taiwan LOL

Little Ryukyu is also easy to reach if you take off from Taipei. it's very famous for green turtle, you can almost see them on every dive if you want. and recently there are some transparent nudi been found, looked like those in Romblom. The nudi are seasonal, and turtles are year round.

hope that help!

George Kao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom