Considering Switching to SDI/TDI from PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mountain out of a molehill.
I taught PADI courses for 30+ years, still active with them, SSI for a year, years ago, and crossed over to SDI/TDI a few of years ago. The pros and cons you mentioned about both agencies are the pros and cons.
Do I feel I have more liability with SDI/TDI? No. Honestly I feel the have my back.
Does SDI/TDI need better/updated materials? Sure, but in the grand scheme of things they are still small and young. You should have seen PADI's and SSI's materials 15, 20 or 30 years ago.

Thank you Scott,

I agree its likely a mountain out of a molehill but I know many lawyers that like to do just that so I'm trying to be very intentional here. :)

Would you be able to articulate how you see SDI/TDI has your back?

What were the major drivers for the switch?

Support. They are genuinely happy to help us with our needs. And they are small enough to remember us as individuals when we call in, but big enough that they have more online support and eLearning than all other agencies combined.

And of minor importance, they are way cheaper than PADI

I was under the impression that certifications had to be issued through the TDI/SDI diveshop.

Michael

SSI may require it? It seems like that was true when my oldest was certified in 2003.
I was under the impression that certifications had to be issued through the TDI/SDI diveshop.

Michael

Are you thinking about SSI? Seems like that was the case when my oldest was certified in 2003.

Would you be able to articulate how you see SDI/TDI has your back?
The link to the letter that @wetb4igetinthewater provided plays a part.
This was after an accident occurred in our state, which was tried heavily in the "court of ScubaBoard" and knowing one of the instructors and the outcome.

Another was sitting in a room with a small group of people and being able to ask Brian any question and having a blunt honest answer, along with knowing the reputation of his legal team.

Plus there is this from a legal perspective: When a training agency decides it is more important than its instructor members or, worse, the training agency helps the plaintiff sue its own members

But seriously, @Riles2226, where SDI shines in my point of view is how incredibly supportive they are to instructors who add sensible performance requirements to their courses. The responses I've had from submitting the addendums to the courses that I teach has been 100% supportive. When it comes to agencies that allow/support this, I think an instructor who sticks to the minimum is not going to be a good instructor. But that's just me. The advice I give to people looking for instructors is to look for ones that teach for agencies that allow for adding to courses, and then ask for the addendums to the course to which they are interested.

If you are interested in one of my examples, I'd be happy to share.

Anybody that wants to discuss the switch, add-on or cross-over give me a call.

Happy to discuss the process, and the Pros and Cons.

roadshadowww@yahoo.com or call/text 678-848-2042

SDI Instructor Trainer Ambassador

+1 for talking with Bob. He knows his stuff and takes the time to talk through things, not just preach something at you!

I've been digging more into the SDI standards and they seem VERY loose, especially compared to PADI. Do you find that to be true? Do you see that as opening you up to more liability? .

It's funny you say this because it seems people that start off with another agency, then move to PADI tend to think of it as being overly restrictive. All your original point of view I guess!

As far as liability goes, as long as you are meeting standards, the agency should back you up. The more specific the standards are, the more "gotchas" there are too. Also, teaching in a fresh water mudhole is not the same as teaching in coastal northern California, or the Great Lakes. Looser standards allow for local adaptation.

Back
Top Bottom