Considering Switching to Hogarthian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBry:
After reading the DIR and Hogarthian forums, and chatting on Scubaboard with many who dive with a BP/W, I am seriously considering switching to a BP/W. The simplicity and logic behind the system appeals to my analytical side.

What is the learning curve like for a PADI OW diver, certified for one year with about 30 dives logged, who wants to switch to a BP/W?

Can one make the switch without special training, assuming they do their own homework first (i.e., read everything they can on the topic online), or is it really so different that I shouldn't place my order with DSS before scheduling a DIR-F class? How do people usually make that switch?
BRY! What are you doing?! Your Brigade will never forgive you!

Snap out of it man, let's go diving.

It's no problem, although help with the fine-tuning from someone with experience always helps. I bought my BP/W while I was in my OW class, rigged it, and went diving. (Of course, I also assembled my first set of doubles with only the instructions from the Halcyon manifold to go on. I just like tinkering with gear...).

If you've got a good relationship with your local shop, you might convince them to let you "test drive" a bp/w in the pool. Especially good if they sell a couple brands. Nothing's better than an OW experience, but not a lot of retailers like their stuff going into the ocean without being paid for :) (I suppose FW is okay ... prbly better than the pool.)

If you've got a contact (DS pro or buddy) who's already Hogarth-config'd all they better because they can give your config a good look to see if you've got it right (i.e. secondary 2nd stage properly placed and all the pretty dangly things removed or out of the way) They can also provide an eval of your skill as the DIR/Hogarthian style puts a lot of emphasis on buoancy and skills as well as gear. An outside opinion can be a good thing.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom