Considering new nitrox wrist computer. Thinking about Aeris XR-2.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

islanddream

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking at purchasing the Aeris XR-2 nitrox wrist computer. I'd really appreciate any good or bad comments/reviews. Also, where to purchase? Price?

It's a 2-button computer (one in front and one on right side). I'm also considering this one, so I'm interested to hear others' thoughts.

You better of with the Mares Puck or the IST GP3000 Air/Nitrox Dive Computer from that same page. They have bigger numbers and the IST have better graphics and the aeris should have been phased out years ago.

We just released the online class for it :wink:

[video=youtube;moSk8pXF1zQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moSk8pXF1zQ[/video]

It is also available in our eDiving and divePAL simulators.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I've been using my XR2 for 5 years now. I like it. The battery is easily replaced, the display is easily read, and it is not overly complicated. I will probably use it in gauge mode for backup someday if/when I go with a new one that strikes my fancy. YMMV

The other issue is that some of the older Oceanics used a very liberal algorithm. The liberal algorithm is now out of favor. Their newer computers allow a choice of algorithms. I dove with three computers: an old Oceanic Prodigy, a Suunto Vyper and Galileo Sol, and the Oceanic is so much more liberal I would not be comfortable following it as my main computer.

Adam

I used to have a Veo 250, which is basically the same thing with an Oceanic badge on it and a slightly different face. I liked it, just didn't like the console it was in. My wife has an Aeris XR-1ns that gets the job done just fine. For the price however I'd be inclined to look at other options. There's a million dive PCs in the $400 range and the Aeris does have a rather dated design.

The other issue is that some of the older Oceanics used a very liberal algorithm. The liberal algorithm is now out of favor. Their newer computers allow a choice of algorithms. I dove with three computers: an old Oceanic Prodigy, a Suunto Vyper and Galileo Sol, and the Oceanic is so much more liberal I would not be comfortable following it as my main computer.

Adam

Out of curiosity, "out of favor" according to whom? I was not aware that the Algorithm PADI uses in their tables was no longer considered "acceptable".

I used to have a Veo 250, which is basically the same thing with an Oceanic badge on it and a slightly different face. I liked it, just didn't like the console it was in. My wife has an Aeris XR-1ns that gets the job done just fine. For the price however I'd be inclined to look at other options. There's a million dive PCs in the $400 range and the Aeris does have a rather dated design. Out of curiosity, "out of favor" according to whom? I was not aware that the Algorithm PADI uses in their tables was no longer considered "acceptable".
There is a trend towards more conservatism. Oceanic was the king of the liberal algorithm and now provides a second more conservative algorithm which is closer to Suunto's. Other brands like Mares and Uwatec and of course Suunto are also conservative. My statement is also based on the reports of DCS after diving within the rules of the dive computer, which suggest insufficient safety margin in the algorithm.

If you do dive one of the older liberal computers it's a good idea IMO to stay away from the deco limits at the end of the dive. For example in my Prodigy you can make a point of always exiting the dive with the nitrogen loading graph in the green zone. It's a way of increasing the safety margin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom