Considering Dive Master

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I have been considering becoming a dive master this summer. I learned how to dive on Koh Tao in Thailand summer before last and fell in love with it. I have around 30 dives as of now so I know I would need more. I currently have Open Water and Advanced and have done first aid but not the rescue course. I honestly do not have an interest in actually working in the dive industry, but I would really like to become a stronger and confident diver. What is the school of thought generally, would it be seen poorly to want to be a dive master but not work?

As a follow up, I would be looking for an international (warm water) destination with a low cost of living. My thoughts would be Koh Tao again, or maybe Indonesia or Honduras. Any other areas that you would recommend I look into?

I would really like to become a stronger and confident diver.

Don't expect the DM course to make you a significantly better diver. The bulk of the course is about the observation and management of other divers, not yourself. It will make you a better dive buddy (ie. better able to spot and deal with issues faced by the people you dive with), but it won't magically make you a better diver yourself.

With 30 dives under your belt, I would suggest you focus on getting more diving in for yourself. Get your buoyancy control and trim absolutely nailed. Learn to fin close to the bottom without kicking up sediment. Learn to fin backwards. Experiment with managing different gear during a dive (cameras, catch bags, dive flags, stage tanks, SMB reels). Dive in a range of different environments and conditions (weather, visibility, water temperature, currents). Regularly practice drills for OOA, complete mask floods (try ascending without a mask at all), free-flowing regs and free-flowing low pressure inflator hoses. Pass a weight pocket or belt to a buddy and learn how to manage ascents when you've accidentally lost a chunk of weight during a dive. Do your rescue course, and if you haven't already also do a nitrox course and learn more about oxygen at depth and no-stop/decompression limits. Maybe do a deep course and see if you experience or witness narcosis.

The dive masters who you might think are awesome divers probably didn't get that way because of the DM course. They most likely got that way because they've done so much diving.

That depends. I did my DM in Roatan, and I pretty much did it because it was a cheap and relatively fun way to spend a summer diving everyday. We did spend some time in the bay practicing skill demonstration but there were probably close to 100 dives. You can improve your skills quite a bit with the right internship.

I also have never had any interest in working in the dive industry. I think doing the DM internship because you want to improve your diving at a reasonable cost and have some fun is absolutely fine. Believe me, the world can survive without more DMs and dive instructors.

There are several destinations were you could go, start with the rescue course and get more diving, and slowly work your way through the DM. Roatan and Utila are very popular for this. I'm sure there are similar places in SE Asia, I'm just familiar with them. You want someplace cheap, safe, and fun.

Improved diving via the DM course is often discussed here. My take is that it will improve your basic 20 skills that are taught to OW students in the pool--since in the course you must do them to "demonstration quality" (PADI). I would assume that also means demonstration quality according to your instructor's standards. "Slowly and clearly" is a common definition. As an experienced (non pro) diver, doing these skills very slowly and clearly probably has little practical value in your diving--though it certainly can't hurt. You also pick up some theory and physiology knowledge (though apparently less since PADI changed the course in 2010) and other info. that is interesting. One thing we had to do in 2009 was to map a dive site--underwater (depths, distances, etc.) and surrounding land area--consider if doing this will be of help to you as a diver (can you already do well with compass navigation?). Any knowledge about the subject is good, though to be "safe" diving you don't really need a whole lot of data and history. A lot of this stuff you can find by reading/internet, etc. anyway, without any real cost. I think most will agree that if you have no intention of being an active working DM, money is much better spent elsewhere--just diving, other courses, whatever. The DM course itself is not very cheap.
I won't come right out and say that certain internships can't at times be fun, cheap, and feature a lot of diving in tropical places-- because I know none of this personally. My experience as a DM (and in the course) was that it was WORK, which -- at times-- can be very rewarding.

Last edited:
If you do not want to work in the dive industry and just want to expand your skills, you can spend the money you would have spent on a DM course much more wisely.

A number of years ago, I was teaching a course and was approached by someone who was pretty much exactly in your position. He was an AOW diver who needed more training in order to do some diving he wanted to do that was related to his work. He was taking the Rescue Diver course to move forward toward the DM because he thought that was the only way he could do it. He saw me teaching the course next to him while wearing a dry suit, and he came over for just that reason--for the diving he wanted to do, he knew he would need a dry suit, and so he asked about that training. We ended up talking through his needs, and we laid out a series of specialty courses that would thoroughly prepare him specifically for the skills he would need for the diving he wanted to do. Those courses combined cost him about half the price of a full DM course, and when he as done with them he was an excellent diver, fully prepared for the pretty advanced dives he needed to do (researching in cold lakes in Yosemite Park). He was so enthused that he went on immediately after that and got full cave certification (not from me--I'm not a cave instructor) in no time, after which we had a great week diving caves in the Yucatan.

There are more options than I can name here, including full on technical diving if you want to go that route. What is important for you is that you find someone who truly knows all the options and can work out a plan that works for you. It is all too easy to walk into a shop which only knows the standard OW-AOW-Rescue-DM sequence, and that is what they will sell you. As Maslow said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

boulderjohn just gave you the best advice on diving you are likely to get, in this thread or anywhere else.

If you want to improve your "diving" skills the DM course is probably not the best route to go down. As stated above the core of the DM course is about teaching the class skills, education philosophies, dive site and class management and safety issues. Most DM candidates diving skills do improve not because they are taught in the class but because if the amount of time spent in the water practicing, doing skills and internships.

You would probably get better diving skills by diving more, honing skills like bouyancy control, trim, finning, breath control and emergency skills on every dive. Take classes that are actually going to improve your the skills you need or are weak in or will provide knowledge and experience that is useful to you. If you can find a "good" experienced diver or divers that are willing to mentor or work with you on diving skills, that is also a good way to improve your skills.

Getting to be a better diver is mostly about practicing good diving habits and always trying to improve your skill set.

I try to improve or add a skill set on almost every dive. Being a good diver and getting better are an on going learning experience.

I would absolutely agree with BoulderJohn.

The DM course doesn't teach anything dramatically new. You improve your rescue skills, obviously learn to demonstrate skills to a high level, learn the basics of the commercial side, from working in a dive shop assisting with clients with their enquiries, through to helping them with their gear.

To be able to be competent in the water you need to have the spare mental capacity, so your in water skills should be dialed away and automatic. Customers are going to look to you for advice and help, as well as assistance.

I've held an equivalent qual from another agency for a while, and am about to embark on my DM - because it's my intention to become an instructor so that I can pass on my experience to other divers, as other have done to me.

That said, if you can spare the time to do an internship in a tropical place, then why the heck not. If you like Thailand, try Kao Lack and I can recommend Wicked diving, as they are a dedicated safe operation that produce divers of a decent standard.

While I have dived with them, my biggest recommendation (which I believes trumps all others) is that I entrusted my tow children to them for their DSD (although we were in the water we kept well out of it so as not to be a distraction) My wife and I would not entrust this to just anyone

Better save your money and earn your NAUI "Master Scuba Diver" rating, the most advanced and comprehensive recreational diver training program available (very different from other agencies' MSD programs and isn't equivalent to PADI, SSI and SDI programs with the same name at all). NAUI MSD training is very unique in the industry for the recreational diver and gives you knowledge and training at entry level instructor's level (without the teaching theory part). You will cover all parts of the diving theory/physics/physiology/equipment/specialties/environment/etc. in great details not available in any other recreational diver program offered by other agencies' programs. There is also confined water/pool and open water training that make sure you reach entry level instructor capability and skill.

NAUI requires this program prior to any leadership training.

I would almost agree with all what it has been allready said here.

Of course in a DM course you will generally learn a lot as a diver.

Of course it depends a lot on where and with who you do your course. There is out there some DCs that will really teach you beyond the standards and you will really become a good diver and a good profesional.

So if your idea is to do your DM course and i can't convince you to don't do it, at least look for reviews and check very well were are you going, have a chat with the managers and ask them to specify very good what is what their internship is about and what do theyn expect from you.

Feel free to contact me if this is your decision and i will recommend you some good internships.

But from my point of view...

In your case, with 30 dives, i would first recommend you to take it easy, enjoy the process of learning, look for experienced budys and ask them about everything, read magazines, stay updated... and most important, enjoy the process.

To learn diving takes time. But of course you can make this time more efficient if you do some courses.

I don't know your profile very good but what about some courses like mentioned Nitrox, maybe what about a Deep Sp? Maybe try new things like sidemount, dry suit, to get slowly slowly into the technical world woukd make u aswell improve as a diver a lot.

But is important that you give some time in between courses. Assimilate what you learn, practise and get some experience before you go for your next course.

Aswell, you mentioned warm waters. I would strongly recommend you if it is possible for you to try some cold, bad vis waters. Belive me, that will make you a much much better diver.

I wish you safe Happy Bubbles

Gery #scubalegends

http://www.facebook.com/scubalegends

http://www.scubalegends.wordpress.com

Back
Top Bottom