Considering buying a pony/back-up tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Marie,

Thanks for clearing that up!

Maybe we CAN dive together sometime.

Regards

Bert

If you want to come dive the Great Lakes, let me know! I refuse to be on a plane long enough to get to Europe, let alone NZ...

I got a pony last summer and went with an AL13. Works fine, plenty of gas to get to the surface for an NDL single tank dive where I would carry it.

In a recent thread about pony mounting, someone clued me in that back mounted pony bottles have directly resulted in several deaths. I believe because of divers using the wrong regulator and running OOA but I'm not sure. Search for the other thread if your'e curious. The post listed several fatalities that were a direct result of the back-mounted pony. Sling them only.

I went smaller because I decided it would be less of a hassle to travel with and to use. That makes me more likely to actually carry and use the pony. It doesn't do any good if it's at home or in the car when I dive. Also, I made a transfill whip. I haven't had to use it (other than testing) but with such a small tank it shouldn't be a big deal to transfill if I'm traveling and the op doesn't want to fill my pony.

I don't bother with it on a deco dive because I'll already be on doubles, maybe also with an al40 deco bottle. I only use it for single tank NDL diving.
I do attach my 13 to my backmounted AL80. I bungee the pony 2nd stage around my neck. Interesting someone would die using the wrong 2nd stage. I guess the regular mouthpiece was not findable-- But, who knows. I do find attaching it to the tank a hassle, especially when switching out tanks. But years ago I slung (slinged?) a 30 and found it awkward, which many will disagree with. I rarely use the pony anyway--only on deep dives with a possible suspect instabuddy.

I do attach my 13 to my backmounted AL80. I bungee the pony 2nd stage around my neck. Interesting someone would die using the wrong 2nd stage. I guess the regular mouthpiece was not findable-- But, who knows. I do find attaching it to the tank a hassle, especially when switching out tanks.

I think the biggest potential problem with that setup is simply forgetting to open the valve on the pony before the dive. Unlike with a closed valve on the primary tank (which happens with appalling frequency), you're not likely to recognize the problem until it's nearly too late to solve it.

Last edited:
I think the biggest potential problem with that setup is simply forgetting to open the valve on the pony before the dive. Unlike with a closed valve on the primary tank (which happens with appalling frequency), you're not likely to recognize the problem until it's nearly too late to solve it.
There is a school of thought that the pony valve should remain closed (after the surface pressure check) until needed to eliminate the possibility of an unnoticed complete gas loss via freeflow, especially in turbulent current conditions. I can see both arguments, which is annoying because it means there is not an obvious correct answer. @TMHeimer , when you bungee your pony second around your neck where is your backup second located? For me that is where my backup second goes, and I would not really want two seconds around my neck.

There is a school of thought that the pony valve should remain closed (after the surface pressure check) until needed to eliminate the possibility of an unnoticed complete gas loss via freeflow, especially in turbulent current conditions. I can see both arguments, which is annoying because it means there is not an obvious correct answer. @TMHeimer , when you bungee your pony second around your neck where is your backup second located? For me that is where my backup second goes, and I would not really want two seconds around my neck.
My backup second is in the traditional "golden triangle" in an octo holder on my right side (lower chest). Ideally, this is what I would donate. When diving solo (most of the time), I bungee my Primary around the back of my head to hold in the mouthpiece in case I ever go unconscious. Have not heard of anyone else ever doing that. Of course, if I'm with a buddy, it is not bungeed, in case the OOA guy grabs for my primary instead of the octo.--don't want him ripping my head off... If I'm also using the pony, it would be bungeed around my neck.
I agree that there are good arguments both sides of whether to have the pony's valve on. I favour on. Then I don't have to try to do that in a emergency, and if an OOA buddy grabbed THAT, at least he/she would get air. None of this stuff has happened to me yet and hopefully never will. Of course, that in itself gives me pause to think.

when you bungee your pony second around your neck where is your backup second located? For me that is where my backup second goes, and I would not really want two seconds around my neck.

Many people will replace their backup second with an Air2 or something similar.

I am a recreational diver (solo certified) who jumps on a plane every month. I've just returned from a trip to Lembeh where I was often diving solo during parts of the dive, often because my dive guide left me whilst I was shooting a video. I carry a Spare Air 6 cu ft which, based on my normal surface air consumption rate of 12 litres/min, is sufficient to get me to the surface from recreational depts when there is no deco obligation. I should also be able to do a 3 min safety stop at 5m on the Spare Air alone and filling it with EAN32 does help. The small pony serves it purpose and is handy for air travel, but having said this, I am considering a pony with 12 cu ft capacity.

I am alos certified for dives to 40m using EAN50 for accelerated decompression and will be completing tec certification to for dives to 50m and deco using 100% oxygen. For such dives, I would not want a pony smaller than AL40.

My backup second is in the traditional "golden triangle" in an octo holder on my right side (lower chest). Ideally, this is what I would donate. When diving solo (most of the time), I bungee my Primary around the back of my head to hold in the mouthpiece in case I ever go unconscious. Have not heard of anyone else ever doing that. Of course, if I'm with a buddy, it is not bungeed, in case the OOA guy grabs for my primary instead of the octo.--don't want him ripping my head off... If I'm also using the pony, it would be bungeed around my neck.
I agree that there are good arguments both sides of whether to have the pony's valve on. I favour on. Then I don't have to try to do that in a emergency, and if an OOA buddy grabbed THAT, at least he/she would get air. None of this stuff has happened to me yet and hopefully never will. Of course, that in itself gives me pause to think.
Oh, well that makes sense. I never really considered securing one's reg to one's mouth, but I am also not ready to go solo yet.

Two things I do know about the pony on/off question; I would always have a backmounted one turned on, and once I pick one approach or the other I will always train and use it following that approach.

Hi @Brian Robinson

Decide whether you want a pony or a deco cylinder.

Pony sizing has been discussed on SB on numerous occasions. A very conservative calculation for pony size is to use twice your average RMV, a minute at depth, a normal ascent, and a 3 minute safety stop. My average RMV is O.37 cf/min, for 130 feet I need 17 cf of gas. I dive a 19 cf pony.

Carrying the pony is a personal choice, mine is slung on the left. It is 2 lbs negative full. Leaving your valve on or charging and turning it off is also a personal choice. I leave my valve on, the regulator and SPG are right in front of me, I could not lose gas without knowing it.

Best of luck and good diving, Craig

Greetings,

As both an instructor and solo diver, your idea of carrying sounds great.

I carry a AL20 on a bracket that mounts it beside my main tank, valve down so I can easily reach it, with the reg on a bungee around my neck so I can always find it.

Basically, see if you can find somewhere to have a hands on try with the options and find the one you feels suits you the best.

For most dives, you just want to be streamlines and not encumbered with too much extra, so don't go bigger than you need to.

Hope this helps. Dive well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom