Considering a used reg. Which should I *not* consider?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's exactly the problem with reusing a high pressure seat. The problem is you can't inspect it without removing it. And I'm not sure you'd see a developing problem anyway. But once you remove it for inspection you have now decreased it's reliability relative to just leaving it alone. That leaves no real way to improve the outcome other than replacing the seat.

Other companies with similar seats replace them annually and I do the same with Mares regs.

I am more comfortable reusing diaphragms, but care needs to be taken that they are not damaged during removal when servicing the reg.

That's exactly the problem with reusing a high pressure seat. The problem is you can't inspect it without removing it. And I'm not sure you'd see a developing problem anyway. But once you remove it for inspection you have now decreased it's reliability relative to just leaving it alone. That leaves no real way to improve the outcome other than replacing the seat.

Other companies with similar seats replace them annually and I do the same with Mares regs.

I am more comfortable reusing diaphragms, but care needs to be taken that they are not damaged during removal when servicing the reg.

Thanks for posting that.

My feeling (regarding my Mares regs) has ended up being the same: When I do a full service on the first stage, I replace the HP poppet and diaphragm.

Since they are my personal regs, the interval between full-service a usually quite a bit longer than the average user, and I've never been comfortable reusing the HP poppet, even though it looked perfect...

Same for the diaphragm. Although I know they can be reused and many folks do, I'm concerned about how well / securely the diaphragm can be clamped by the retainer, since it has already been "crushed" along its edge once, and retains the impression... it may be a pointless concern, but a new diaphragm seems like cheap insurance...

So anyway, yeah, I wish those parts were included as part of the annual kits.

For the 2nd stage, again since I'm working on my personal regs, I just flip the "puck" style LP seat when I service it, and save the new seat that comes in the kit to be used at the next service.

Thanks as always for the insight, it is helpful.

Best wishes!

The US Divers Conshelf isnt a bad choice as an all around basic reg. Its the longest regulator model in production and hasn't changed much in 30 years. If its good enough for the US Navy I'd say its good enough for recreational divers. Good luck in your quest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom