Considering a new set of doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm currently diving double Faber LP112's, and I like them, they trim nicely for me, but they really are a bear to drag around, and are definetly overkill for Lake Erie, especially as my shop and I fill them to 3000 to 3300 PSI. I'm also working on my Divemaster, and need some single tanks for when working with students. I was originally thinking of getting a couple of HP100's for singles, but got to thinking that I don't think there is a tech dive in the Lake that I would really need that much gas (double 112's), so I'm considering breaking these down to singles and doubling up a set of HP100's. Just looking for some comments, suggestions, any pros/cons anyone can see comparing the HP100 doubles versus the LP112 doubles.

Thanks,
Jim

One other thing, my shop has access to Worthington, Faber, OMS, and PST when they start production again. This might open a major can of worms, but any opinions on the various brands, and does anyone know who is making OMS's cylinders?

I don't think OMS makes their own tanks, aren't they just Fabers?

I prefer Worthington for the idiot-proof galvanized finished, some prefer the painted Fabers (even though paint scratches and has to be cared for better) for their heavier weight in the water. Both are good. Faber are more resistant to overfilling, from what I've read.

I like the old PSTs but wouldn't buy them given the current state of flux, and I won't trust whatever new tanks the new offshore PST comes out with until they build up some sort of track record.

Can't give you any advice on one double set vs. another, as I have yet to take that step. :) My only thought is that you'll need new bands for HP100 doubles (I think, because aren't the 112's 8" wide?), and possibly a different manifold, so if an HP100 is enough for your singles needs why break up your existing, working doubles and have to spend all that money building a completely new rig?

CompuDude:
I don't think OMS makes their own tanks, aren't they just Fabers?

I prefer Worthington for the idiot-proof galvanized finished, some prefer the painted Fabers (even though paint scratches and has to be cared for better) for their heavier weight in the water. Both are good. Faber are more resistant to overfilling, from what I've read.

I like the old PSTs but wouldn't buy them given the current state of flux, and I won't trust whatever new tanks the new offshore PST comes out with until they build up some sort of track record.

Can't give you any advice on one double set vs. another, as I have yet to take that step. :) My only thought is that you'll need new bands for HP100 doubles (I think, because aren't the 112's 8" wide?), and possibly a different manifold, so if an HP100 is enough for your singles needs why break up your existing, working doubles and have to spend all that money building a completely new rig?

Well I don't need a new manifold, just bands. The reason I am considering breaking them up, is they are overkill for what I'm doing right now, so since I need single tanks, and doubles, I figured I would consider going with a smaller/lighter/more streamlined doubles set, and use the big suckers for singles. They do trim nicely in the water, but are a bit of a bear out of the water.

Ahhh tanks, I love tanks.

First, I think OMS tanks are currently rebranded Worthingtons. So, this really is a Worthington/Faber debate.

If you go to something like HP100s, you'll get almost 30 pounds off your back as compared to the 112s, but at the same time, they'll be shorter and trim out differently. This is something to consider. Also, those 112s pumped to 3300 psi are a lot more gas than the 100s, and it seems like you don't need that much, but pencil out the difference. The HP tanks are wonderful, but aren't going to be overfilled that much. You may or may not have to get a new 'fold, you will have to get new bands.

FWIW, I am diving doubles to get used to them before doing tech training. I have a set of 119s that I like a lot (they trim out well for me diving dry, I'm 6'1", 210) but I am getting a set of 100s for shore dives around here because they'll be close to 20 pounds lighter than my 119s and I can still get two dives out of them with a transfill from a single 130 in between.

I know that Tech Diving Limited has a killer deal on double Fabers right now, I think they are all LP tanks, but maybe they'll substitute faber 100s for them. Their website also has a nice table of tank specs, but the Faber specs on the table are without a valve, so add about 1.5 pounds to that weight in comparison to the Worthingtons.

Don Burke:
How much gas are you coming back with when you dive the 112s?

Tons, I'm doing my advanced Nitrox/Deco procedures, so I'm not doing really long or deep dives yet, but that will come in the future. 200 CF would be ample for anything I'm doing in Lake Erie.

dsteding:
First, I think OMS tanks are currently rebranded Worthingtons. So, this really is a Worthington/Faber debate.

If you go to something like HP100s, you'll get almost 30 pounds off your back as compared to the 112s, but at the same time, they'll be shorter and trim out differently. This is something to consider. Also, those 112s pumped to 3300 psi are a lot more gas than the 100s, and it seems like you don't need that much, but pencil out the difference. The HP tanks are wonderful, but aren't going to be overfilled that much. You may or may not have to get a new 'fold, you will have to get new bands.

I thought they might have been Worthington, but I wasn't sure.

the 30 pounds off my back is the main reason why I'm considering it, like I said the 112's trim nice, and I would have to get the 100's sorted out from the beginning again, not a big deal, but something I would need to do. Like you said, at 3300 PSI they are way more than I need for what I'm doing right now, but a single at 3300 would be pretty nice for a long day of dealing with students at the local quarry or shallow spots in the lake.

Pros: Less weight, known working gear config, cost (paid for).
Cons: Getting used to new configs, trim, and cost (bands and tanks).

Cost seems to be the major factor, but it sounds like you're comfortable with the cost and want the advantages. It'll all work fine one way or the other. Goferit. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom