conshelf Questions lots of them??? military???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gonzo_G22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
ok people / guro's

i'm new to diving and all the equiptment... but i am certain im going to end up with a conshelf / us divers / aqualung gear...

for the simple fact that i am a former 8yr US Marine that never got any type of scuba training but after doing a little research on here i come to the conclusion is that the Marine Corps is useing this gear???? is that right??? or at least has used this stuff???

anyway, from what i gather is that i could get this Aqualung / U.S. Divers gear fairly cheaper than other stuff right? and its supposed to be pretty good and well if its good enough for military then its good enough for me.. as matter of fact i would rather use a mil spec rig anyway being the former amphibious Marine that i am...

how ever here goes a few questions:
1. Does anybody know what Gear the Marine Corps actually use's ?
2. Where can i buy it?
3. what is the differance between The conshelf XIV and the conshelf XXI and the Conshelf SE2. ( reason i ask, have seen all of the above on ebay recantly)
4. what is first stage? what is second stage? and what the devil is an octopus???

i dont know anything about this stuff and i have not even certified yet but i'm sure when i take the class next month alot of these quetions will be anwered but in the mean time im still here beating my brain housing group against the wall trying to figure this stuff out...lol..

i'm planning on certifing the first and second weekends of sept... is as soon as i can get it done..
so if anybody can help me out a bit i would appreciat it...
thanks in advance..

The Conshelf XIV has been around for decades, but is still advertised new from Aqualung:
Aqua Lung - Professional Diving Equipment - at least overseas.
Perhaps you could buy one from a stateside Aqualung dealer. They are also available used, as you have found.
The Conshelf XXI and SE2, have plastic, instead of metal cases for the second stage.

A little more detail on the previous poster's response. The first stage reduces the cylinder pressure to an intermediate pressure. Second stages reduce the intermediate pressure to breathing (ambient) pressure.

I was unable to access the thread mentioned in that answer via the URL given, but this one:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/61824-conshelf-fans-welcomed-12.html
should get you into the last page, from which you can select earlier pages.

OK people / giro's

i'm new to diving and all the equiptment... but i am certain im going to end up with a conshelf / us divers / aqualung gear...

for the simple fact that i am a former 8yr US Marine that never got any type of scuba training but after doing a little research on here i come to the conclusion is that the Marine Corps is useing this gear???? is that right??? or at least has used this stuff???

anyway, from what i gather is that i could get this Aqualung / U.S. Divers gear fairly cheaper than other stuff right? and its supposed to be pretty good and well if its good enough for military then its good enough for me.. as matter of fact i would rather use a mil spec rig anyway being the former amphibious Marine that i am...

how ever here goes a few questions:
1. Does anybody know what Gear the Marine Corps actually use's ?
2. Where can i buy it?
3. what is the differance between The conshelf XIV and the conshelf XXI and the Conshelf SE2. ( reason i ask, have seen all of the above on ebay recantly)
4. what is first stage? what is second stage? and what the devil is an octopus???

i dont know anything about this stuff and i have not even certified yet but i'm sure when i take the class next month alot of these quetions will be anwered but in the mean time im still here beating my brain housing group against the wall trying to figure this stuff out...lol..

i'm planning on certifing the first and second weekends of sept... is as soon as i can get it done..
so if anybody can help me out a bit i would appreciat it...
thanks in advance..

Well let me weigh in here. I have owned Conshelf XII's since 1974. I recently had to upgrade my US Diver pressure gage because the old one was leaking in the glass a little. When I went to screw the new one on, it was larger in diameter than the XII so I had to then buy an adapter. Meanwhile I went on eBay and found a like new SE2 only. I bought it for like $35 and with postage maybe $45 total. Had LDS check it over excellent cond. they said no charge for checking it out. I switched my 2nd stage, which has a metal housing from the XII to it and I have a newer regulator with one extra port the XII didn't have and the larger hole size. Other than that as far as I can tell both Conshelf's work and use the same parts. I also put new mouth bites the kind you heat up and make an impression of your teeth into. I had this on my original but after 35 yrs they had disintegrated. This kind of mouth piece keeps jaw fatigue to nothing and works really well. Ebay has them too but the price is all over the place. Pay no more than $29 for it with shipping. There usually is a buy it now with shipping free. If you decide to get one, make sure it is the right type size for the conshelf which I believe is type 1. Back to the regulator. You will need to take it to an LDS and have it checked out, not necessarily serviced as mine didn't need servicing except for adjusting the big screw in the end which controls the pressure coming to the second stage I believe. Try to get a metal face plate 2nd stage, they just seem to hold up best. You may have to buy a whole regulator and later switch out the plastic 2nd for an all metal one. I have seen them sell both ways on eBay. You can also set up a search and save for each item and when they become available, eBay will send you and email it is there now. Make sure before you bid the seller will give you a reasonable number of days to check out the reg or you can return it. I personally would tell you to do a search for the SE2 model there is also a SE3 model.
Here is what looks like a great buy with a buy it now.
US DIVER ( AQUALUNG ) SE2 REG. NICE - eBay (item 380150475764 end time Sep-17-09 12:39:16 PDT)
Good luck, and parts as far as I know will always be available for work horses like this.
Same on BC if you want a Seaquest ( Aqualung / US Diver BC) PM me and I will give you a DM in Utah who has some from his classes that are still like new, maybe 1 year old, but has all the bells and whistles.
Look at this one and it looks great and has both 2nd and Octo
http://cgi.ebay.com/U-S-Divers-Aqua...in_0?hash=item3ef7d77d3c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
:D

BTW, why interest in what the USMC uses? Are we to assume that anything they use is better then what is used for Civilian apllication? Sometimes the military mind is not as clear headed as their civillian counterparts. For the record, they use 'off the shelf' Scubapro regs.

ANd they pay 700 bucks for friggin hammer!

But just like a marine with a shovel is as good as the army with a bulldozer, I guess a marine with scuba gear is as good as the navy with a submarine!

I suggest you browse this table of Authorized U.S. Navy diving equipment:
SEA 00C3 ANU List

The Marine Corps is only authorized to use equipment tested by the Navy and on this list.

You will find that Usless Divers is only one of the approved manufacturers you can choose from. I reccomend you get a Poseidon or Apeks regulator setup. It will also really depend on what your local dive shop can service. Example: Don't buy Sherwood if your local dive shop only carries ScubaPro.

When you get the brand you want figured out, the shop will help you with the "first stage/second stage" thing, because they usually are sold together as a complete regulator set. And sometines the safe secondary regulator (often called and octo, or octopus) will also be included.

In you case, you need to go through the basic class FIRST. Then worry about putting your gear together. Just rent what the shop offers for the class because something might go wrong (you find you can not clear you ears, you have a medical condition that will make diving more dangerous, etc.) and by renting you avoid getting stuck with a lot of expensive stuff that you can not return or re-sell for the amount you paid.

Go to this web site to figure out your basic mask, fins and neoprene boots for the class (you have to buy those first): NavySEALs.com - Experience the SEAL Edge | Gear, Fitness, Info

Otherwise have fun and ask lots of questions.

Simper Fi

Equipment on the list is essentially like equipment or vendors on a GSA schedule. They are there as they meet certain requirements but the list may not be updated all that often and better items may not have been submitted for testing.

For example, the MK 16 S550 is on the US Navy approved list but was replaced a few years ago by the MK 17 S555 and Mk 17 G250V which are better regulators. They all follow the same evolutionary track, and the latter regs would pass the US Navy tests hands down if submitted. So not being on the list does not mean all that much as it is not the same as having failed to meet the standards.

In fact, if you talk to many cold water divers, you'll soon pick up on the fact that the MK 17 G250V is basically bullet proof in cold water while the MK 25 S600, approved on the US Navy list for 38 degree water to 190', is on the ragged edge of relaibility at that depth and temp. So like it or not, the US Navy list is not the last word in regulator performance.

The Navy and Marines use whatever does not break the second or third time out.......not good when someone is trying to kill you...........the last thing you want to worry about is your equipment.......... After that, choice should be based on your bank book, your performance criteria, and your comfort and feel good index (safety)........an added note: ask around what regs are easiest to rebuild, upgrade etc........learn to do this yourself (some LDS's teach this as a speciality) and stay with those types of equipment.

Semper Fi.........

Sorry. That nqvyseals website is bogus. Has no relationship with the real Seals. Totally bogus and their gear sucks. Go to a LDS and try stuff on. For example masks are very personal. Fit the most important thing. I love force fins (ex-army Ranger) but some do not. Bottom line have fun exlporing the gear thing. It's one of the most fun things in the sport!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom