Cons of Colour Screen Dive Computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaddyJr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm going to pull the trigger on a dive computer and have narrowed down my choices to either the Suunto Eon Core or the Mares Matrix. I like the Eon Core's simple and configurable screen layout. I like the functionality and screen layout of the Matrix (one of the few smaller dive computers that has a compass). Both computers have rechargeable batteries that you can charge without having to expose the insides. However, my query has to do with colour screens, are they that useful? Any disadvantages or peeves that users of colour screen dive computers have noticed?

I'm a recreational diver, been diving a few times a month recently. I don't think I'll ever go into technical diving. I do enjoy the occasional night dive. Budget is not a problem although who wouldn't want to save on a few hundred bucks.

I have been using Shearwater Petrals and Perdixs for a while; before that Atomic Cobalt. All of these have color screens...I cannot see any disadvantage to them. I love the color screens. And I hope that you do too.

The only con of color screens I can think of is that they require rechargeable batteries, not small watch batteries.
Color screens are much more visible underwater because they are emissive or use always-on backlights, no fiddling with the light button or shining your torch on it.

Siimto Eon is quite expensive for what it is, a recreational computer - but if the people you dive with all run Suuntos, that can be an advantage.

The only con of color screens I can think of is that they require rechargeable batteries, not small watch batteries.
Color screens are much more visible underwater because they are emissive or use always-on backlights, no fiddling with the light button or shining your torch on it.

Siimto Eon is quite expensive for what it is, a recreational computer - but if the people you dive with all run Suuntos, that can be an advantage.

That is incorrect about rechargeable batteries. The Shearwater Perdix has a color screen and takes AA batteries.

The Aqua Lung i750tc takes a throw away battery too.

I find the color hard to see in bright sunlight near the surface. I switch my Icon to "night mode". I far prefer that because the main information is black and white and very readable but the alert information (air remaining, ascent violation, etc.) are still brightly colored. Really gets your attention.

As far as an included compass mode, I didn't find it very useful. It is extremely responsive. Meaning the display and numbers jump all over the place very quickly with just the minimum of movement. The display is continually changing - on land. In water it's worse. Just my experience. Different computer/different person may vary or not be annoying.

I got a DGX Deluxe Pro ($60) and set it up to be either quick release clipped to my harness or worn on my wrist. I want to take a heading/bearing, clip it on, and then splash. When it's time to go home I want to unclip it and look through the side (the DGX has a very nice large window), get my direction and go. I hold it in my hand to recheck direction as needed. When I'm back to shore/ascent line, I clip it back on to get it out of the way.

That is incorrect about rechargeable batteries. The Shearwater Perdix has a color screen and takes AA batteries.
Yeah, I meant rechargeable or user replaceable batteries, as opposed to a small button cell that lasts for a year. Sorry for the confusion.

Even then a lot of people prefer it over a cell that's not user replaceable in the field.

Yeah, I meant rechargeable or user replaceable batteries, as opposed to a small button cell that lasts for a year. Sorry for the confusion.

Driving the light-emitting screen takes a lot of juice. Coin battery is simply not an option with colour screens.

Only if you are colorblind..

Are people such tight-wades that they need to worry about the cost of batteries over the functionality of a high grade color screen computer? Batteries cost a few ¢ents per dive. Some cost ¢, some cost ¢¢ and others cost ¢¢¢. But none require a 2nd mortgage on the homestead. It probably cost you more $$$ just to drive to the dive site.
:spend:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom