Connecticut Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Guys - I'll keep checking this thread - I have a friend who has his boat in Noank. We usually try to get out and get a bunch of diving in each year. Any wheres from just around Fisher's Island, Onadaga, to Block Island.

You talking about Eric and Rick, or Jay?

I have a 27 whaler in the housatonic
we dive several places between Clinton and Stamford

It is a newer boat with radar safety equipment and epirb
I am planning on making my first 2012 shakedown run this week and then will have a tentative schedule.
We do tow it to Ri and dive the wrecks off block island as well

My girlfriend and I are looking for some shore dive spots or dive buddies up here, too. Just moved to the Middletown area from North Florida, and while she may not be available as often, I'm up for pretty much whatever, whenever. I'll keep checking in to this thread, too, hope to hear more.

I shore(and now kayak) dive CT sites year round. Anyone interested in meeting up, just let me know. I also dive(and train) with New England Dive in Wallingford. They do CT and RI boat dives EVERY weekend throughout the spring/summer/fall. Charter boats that go out local from CT to CT/RI wrecks are the Thunderfish, Atlantis, and Karma. Don't let anyone fool you, CT has some great diving... let's go get some lobsters and shore/kayak dive some wrecks! Anyone up for it?

I would be very interested in places to kayak dive. Where are you putting in and what sites do you dive?

No, I would be coming up from Long Island so it would need to be a weekend for me.

The following is a compilation from a number of posts over the last few years.

Pete Johnson
In the Sound, the vis thing you just get used to and start seeing with your hands.

CT Shore diving is limited do to water access, not a lot, and that the Sound is shallow on the north side especially west of New Haven with a mud/silt bottom. You can be a mile out and still need to look out for oyster stakes (less then 30'). Most go out to RI or up to Cape Ann or Maine for the visibility and bottom structure.
Try the boat ramp at Pleasure Beach in Waterford. Good parking and an easy after work and night dive
New England Diving of CT is in Wallingford and is a full gas Tech dive shop. Paul & Pat are good people. New England Wallingford Connecticut CT Scuba Diving Center Dive Classes Lessons

SCUBA Shack in Rock Hill is just south of Hartford is the only GUE/DIR shop in the Northeast. Scuba Shack - GUE & PADI Training, Diver Equipment - Connecticut

Besides the Brownstone Quary, in Long Island Sound there are 3 charter boats out of the CT side. Atlantis in New London, Orbit in Bridgeport, and Captain Sam down Norwalk/Stamford way. In the Sound expect 5-15' vis with winter temps in the 30's and late summer vis can be 2' and less with temps around 70. I use a 1/4" farmer john in the summer and a dry suit for the other 9 months.

Most go out to Rhode Island and hit the wrecks around Block Island - Submarines there are the Greman U-boat U-853, USS Bass, USS L-8, and way south in 250/275' is USS Spikefish. All of the USS boats were sunk as targets. Other wrecks are the Black Point (victom of U-853) the Idean, Larchmont, Lake Crystal, Lake Hemlock (in the Sound), Mary Arnold. etc.

Pick up Gerry Gentiles books on "Shipwrecks of Rhode Island and Connecticut" and "SHIPWRECKS OF MASSACHUSETTS: SOUTH." He is currently researching a book on Northern Mass. Gary Gentile Wreck Diving

All the dive shops have some typr of club and there are a few independent clubs around. If you are mostly into travel the Innerspace Club in Manchester may be a good one for you.

Here is a general web site that is what I think you are looking for. Hunting New England Shipwrecks

I have tentative plans for next Sunday to run to the Celtic
it is a 22 mile run my boat is comfortable cruising at 24 /25 knots

I haven't checked a tide chart and I know capt saams mooring is not in it yet but it is easy to hook

Boat is in Milford
Interested parties should pm me for details

You talking about Eric and Rick, or Jay?
Humm nope -- I do know a Rick at the marina that dives too. Think I'll be helping out on a few things this weekend then maybe a dive at some point.

Back
Top Bottom