Confronting non-diver shark fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude,
Sharks attacks are totally accidental

Here read Marco Flagg's incident report.

Then keep reading to Bruce's apology... Hey if he took enough time to write and say sorry I think he means it!

:wink:

Growing up my neighbor down the street was accidentally bitten by a Great White shark, while body boarding, at Stinson Beach. He suffered pretty severe injuries with hundreds of stitches to put his torn flesh back into place. Skipping foreward...today he is a Great White shark proponent.

When I started surfing on the California coast it was always in the back of my mind that an accidental bite could happen to me. Most of the surfers I talked to about sharks thought about them too, but the fear was not enough to keep them out of the water.

With the internets power to provide information I studied the heck out of Great Whites and peoples encounters/incidents with them. Shark bites are not common at all along the California coast. The actual deaths of humans is even lower. Most of the shark bites do serious damage to the victim, but they live. Somewhere around 96% of the attacks are on the surface, with the highest percentage being people located in the surf zone.

Since we are talking about scuba diving where we are not on the surface much, and not in a surf zone, that means our odds of being bitten are even less. Every once in a while someone will see a Great White either from a boat or underwater. The shark casually passes by, like they do more then we will ever know.

It is OK to fear sharks, but we should fear drunk drivers much more.

experience to answer my non-diver friends about the number one fear they have about diving in Monterey: great white sharks.

Statistically, I know that DCS is a risk that is orders of magnitude more common and dangerous. But unfortunately shark attacks have captured the public imagination and tapped into a biological fear of being eaten. I want to address this head-on with my friends but real data is sparse on the subject. I'm looking for any anecdotal observations or thoughts on the subject.

Good luck with that. It's hard to change a lifetime of fear-mongering from the media.

I tell the students that if I brought a really good camera, I'd have a world-class collection of sharks tails waaaay off in the distance as they swam away.

If also tell them if they don't look, smell, act like or carry shark food, or pay someone to take them to the sharks and bait the water, they'll probably never get to see a shark.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom