Confronting non-diver shark fear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In over 50 years of diving, much if it on the northern California coast, I've had exactly one encounter with a GWS that I did not go looking for. I survived just fine, there was no damage to anything except my adrenals.
Wow! Did it see you? and how far was it from you?

In over 50 years of diving, much if it on the northern California coast, I've had exactly one encounter with a GWS that I did not go looking for. I survived just fine, there was no damage to anything except my adrenals.

Alright, a real data point! What were the circumstances of your encounter: how deep, time of day, conditions, location? Did the shark notice you? How close did you get? Did you take any preventative action to avoid an attack?

Sorry for the grilling, just excited to find out more about real interactions.

I thought there was only one attack on a diver since 95 in Monterey.

I searched through the download-able Global Shark Attack File at How to search GSAF data and found 4 records that matched year>1994, location=California, activity=diving. Unfortunately, it's difficult to access to the better-publicized International Shark Attack File, which is primarily used by researches, but the information here seems correct.

Two records were in 1995, so depending on you count "since 1995", you'll either get 2 or 4.

Last edited:
To give folks a feel for the content I'm planning on presenting to new divers (which isn't all about sharks), I've put together a stack of research materials I'll be drawing from:

Visual Search | Searchme.com

It works like a book or the album interface on your iPod--click the page to the right to center it, like flipping a page. It's a PADI-centric because I think that will be a common certification choice for new divers, and it's the organization I'm most familiar with. I've got a mix of course materials, reasons for diving, pictures, videos, and info about dive sites and conditions. Other links to include are welcome!

I think all of us have the same problems when it comes to new divers and sharks. I teach in Korea. I have never seen a shark here. That's not to say there are none, I have just never seen one. But I'm sure some have seen me without me realizing it.
Jaques Cousteau documents in his book Silent World where he ran into a Great White. He writes "The brute was swimming lazily. In that moment I thought at least he would have a bellyache on our three-cylinder lungs.
"Then the shark saw us. His reaction was the last conceivable one. In pure fright, the monster voided a cloud of excrement and departed at an incredible speed." Cousteau's way of saying they scared the crap out of the shark.
In the next paragraph, Cousteau goes on to describe how he and his buddy Dumas began to actively seek encounters with sharks and determined that "all sharks are cowards. They were so pusillanimous they wouldn't hold still to be filmed."
Keep in mind, Silent World was written in 1953.
I don't know if the Monterey Aquarium lets divers into the tanks, but I sometimes take prospective students into the Busan Aquarium. There are 20 sharks in it, six are Sand Tigers over eight feet long. They usually sign up for an Open Water Course after the dive. You should ask if the Monterey Aquarium has a program like this.
Other than that, I can only say that you should increase your own understanding of sharks in general, and GWS in particular. This way, you'll have the answers. Especially if you relate them through your own experience. I recommend reading Peter Benchley's Shark Trouble, The Shark Chronicles by John A. Musick and Beverly McMillan, and Cousteau's Great White Shark by Jean-Michele Cousteau. Also, loan the movie Sharkwater to prospective students. Though it's about the shark fin trade, there is some amazing footage of Rob Stewart holding and petting sharks as well as information about the sharks role in the environment which will help people to understand that they're not out to eat divers.

I hope this helps.

I think all of us have the same problems when it comes to new divers and sharks.
"Then the shark saw us. His reaction was the last conceivable one. In pure fright, the monster voided a cloud of excrement and departed at an incredible speed." Cousteau's way of saying they scared the crap out of the shark.
I don't know if the Monterey Aquarium lets divers into the tanks, but I sometimes take prospective students into the Busan Aquarium. There are 20 sharks in it, six are Sand Tigers over eight feet long. They usually sign up for an Open Water Course after the dive. You should ask if the Monterey Aquarium has a program like this.
Other than that, I can only say that you should increase your own understanding of sharks in general, and GWS in particular. This way, you'll have the answers. Especially if you relate them through your own experience. I recommend reading Peter Benchley's Shark Trouble, The Shark Chronicles by John A. Musick and Beverly McMillan, and Cousteau's Great White Shark by Jean-Michele Cousteau. Also, loan the movie Sharkwater to prospective students. Though it's about the shark fin trade, there is some amazing footage of Rob Stewart holding and petting sharks as well as information about the sharks role in the environment which will help people to understand that they're not out to eat divers.

I hope this helps.

Thanks very much, this is definitely helpful. I think the Cousteau story would really resonate with people thanks to the huge respect Americans still have for him. Great tips regarding the aquarium and reading/viewing material as well. Thanks!

Alright, a real data point! What were the circumstances of your encounter: how deep, time of day, conditions, location? Did the shark notice you? How close did you get? Did you take any preventative action to avoid an attack?

Sorry for the grilling, just excited to find out more about real interactions.

Wow! Did it see you? and how far was it from you?

Great White Lunch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom