Conflicting Guidance from the “Experts” and Insta-buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My goal in starting this thread is not to have a lot of people give me advice, but to glean an understanding of the wide spread of attitudes the new diver experiences when diving. Please ‘trust me’ that I am capable of assimilating a lot of information and making my own decision.

Why do various people express this kind of attitude and make these statements to new divers? For the purpose of this discussion, I am saying “new” for 100 or so dives, or AOW and below training. I don’t dive any ‘one’ place, but more likely a vacation rec diver of four trips a year. This conflicting information creates some strange divers, methinks.

DM says, Stop thinking so much and just enjoy the dive. “I’ll take care of you.”

Insta-buddy claims “I have several hundred dives. I don’t need buddy checks.” When I expressed interest in her training, she was AOW only. She didn’t think it necessary that others know she drops her weights in her BC pockets, and the quick-pull weight pockets are empty. (Scares me in a rescue scenario.)

“Just go out and dive. Don’t worry about more education, get a few hundred dives under your belt before you move on.” When recounted, this was countered by the following:

“Why wait and assimilate bad habits your instructor will have to break.”

Why do you need to practice skills? Don’t you think you were trained well enough?

You don&#8217;t need <enter equipment here &#8211; SMB, air whistle, etc.>.

Why is all your equipment (SPG, etc.) clipped to your BC?

When expressing a desire for Nitrox, &#8220;You don&#8217;t need Nitrox; all of our dives are 70 fsw and less.&#8221; (I am one of those that &#8216;feels less tired&#8217; after Nitrox.)

Observed: Some divers seem to dive not for the pleasure of diving, but to do nothing but conserve their air. That way, when they came to the surface, they could brag about how much air they had left. One woman that did this had the gall to ask me about everything I saw so she could put it in her logbook, when she was nowhere near enough to see what I saw (like 15' above).

I guess it is because there are as many opinions as there are divers! :)

We all try to give good advice to new divers; but we all come from different levels of training and experience, and we have different goals. When I dive with a new diver, I try to encourage them to develop good habits, but since I come from a technical and cave background, my advice is going to be coming from that background (hovering horizontally, good team communication skills, etc). Another diver coming from a different background will have completely different opinions, and that is OK.

One woman that did this had the gall to ask me about everything I saw so she could put it in her logbook, when she was nowhere near enough to see what I saw (like 15' above).

So you told her about the chests filled with gold and jewels and the nice mermaid, right.

It's the same thing as people telling you how to ride your bike properly, only underwater.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

I agree totaly. A recreational diver with hundreds of dives will give completely different advice than a tech with the same or far less dives.

I was never interested in Nitrox until told I could stay down longer. For me I love to stay down as long as possible to take it all in. I'm also goal orientated on some dives.

When I'm diving with a new diver I try to find cool and interesting things and point them out. After diving for a while I'll let them take the lead so they can decide which way to go. One other thing I'll make sure I know exactly where we are at all times because the new diver will usually not know the way back.

Observed: Some divers seem to dive not for the pleasure of diving, but to do nothing but conserve their air. That way, when they came to the surface, they could brag about how much air they had left. One woman that did this had the gall to ask me about everything I saw so she could put it in her logbook, when she was nowhere near enough to see what I saw (like 15' above).
What's wrong with this? Is a diver only supposed to put what she personally sees in the logbook? I routinely write about stuff that other people in my dive party see. In my mind, this is an enjoyable social aspect of diving with other people -- talking about it afterward. An equally important function of my logbook is to record the various critters that are located at a particular dive site. It helps me find them myself on subsequent dives.

Honestly, I think there are many many divers out there who only log 15-30 dives a year. To make up for their own lack of confidence in the water, they have a need to "show their stuff". I find that the biggest talkers on the boat are often the least confident and then they "pick" on new divers (as defined by you as <100 dives). I find the scariest divers between 100 and 200 dives. Just enough knowledge to think they know it and then they start breaking the rules and get in trouble.

Just looking at the comments you've quoted you can see the lack of knowledge there. For ex. Nitrox is designed to give more bottom time at intermediate depths so it's perfect in the 60-70 ft range and then on repetitive dives.....of course! And if it makes you feel better, go for it!

And I hate to say it, but as women we are especially vulnerable to men making comments to us. Many times, they assume because I am a woman, I am not "really" a diver. Sorry guys but it's the truth in my 22 years of experience.

Also the air thing is macho and no one likes to be the first up on the boat low on air. That's why so many people get uppity about a "low" fill at 2800. My response is that if you were planning to come up at 700 psi, and you start at 2800 just come up at 500. Problem solved.

Of course, I am generalizing here but simply giving my opinion on your topic.

PS: Nice bike in your profile photo! Where's your next dive trip???

One of the major problems you identify in your second paragraph:"Why do various people express this kind of attitude and make these statements to new divers? For the purpose of this discussion, I am saying &#8220;new&#8221; for 100 or so dives, or AOW and below training. I don&#8217;t dive any &#8216;one&#8217; place, but more likely a vacation rec diver of four trips a year. This conflicting information creates some strange divers, methinks."

There are a whole lot of "Pros" out there that simultaneously meet your definition of being "new divers." And they, by and large, learned from similar "Pros" who had about the same level of experience. You often have to go way back into their diving family tree to find someone with both enough actual experience to know what they're talking about as well as training that was conducted by an old "Pro."

I guess it is because there are as many opinions as there are divers! :)

We all try to give good advice to new divers; but we all come from different levels of training and experience, and we have different goals. When I dive with a new diver, I try to encourage them to develop good habits, but since I come from a technical and cave background, my advice is going to be coming from that background (hovering horizontally, good team communication skills, etc). Another diver coming from a different background will have completely different opinions, and that is OK.

If the opinions passed the common sense tests, I might agree. What I see is people that have the experience :ignore: to know better, but express something common sense says is 'wrong'.

So you told her about the chests filled with gold and jewels and the nice mermaid, right.

It's the same thing as people telling you how to ride your bike properly, only underwater.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Can't say I see "stupid" advice in the MC world. Unwise (like shoot that #$%^&), but not totally stupid.

Honestly, I think there are many many divers out there who only log 15-30 dives a year. To make up for their own lack of confidence in the water, they have a need to "show their stuff". I find that the biggest talkers on the boat are often the least confident and then they "pick" on new divers (as defined by you as <100 dives). I find the scariest divers between 100 and 200 dives. Just enough knowledge to think they know it and then they start breaking the rules and get in trouble.

Just looking at the comments you've quoted you can see the lack of knowledge there. For ex. Nitrox is designed to give more bottom time at intermediate depths so it's perfect in the 60-70 ft range and then on repetitive dives.....of course! And if it makes you feel better, go for it!

And I hate to say it, but as women we are especially vulnerable to men making comments to us. Many times, they assume because I am a woman, I am not "really" a diver. Sorry guys but it's the truth in my 22 years of experience.

Also the air thing is macho and no one likes to be the first up on the boat low on air. That's why so many people get uppity about a "low" fill at 2800. My response is that if you were planning to come up at 700 psi, and you start at 2800 just come up at 500. Problem solved.

Of course, I am generalizing here but simply giving my opinion on your topic.

PS: Nice bike in your profile photo! Where's your next dive trip???

Agree completely! Sometimes it is super hard to nod smilingly and not burst out in laughter at some advice.

It's the 'serious' advice given by those in an authoritative postion that scare me. If a noob isn't well read-up ( I LOVE SCUBABOARD! ) and has the sense to research what they read, they can really be guided wrong.

Next trip is Mexico, Memorial Day weekend . . . Freakin' water hasn't broken 70 yet! :cold:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom