Conflicting Guidance from the “Experts” and Insta-buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle touched on a point there (for me anyways).

Whatever happened to the notion of divers thinking for themselves. Perhaps we've gone so far equating diving to being as safe as a walk in the park, and thinking everybody can dive, that we expect some omnipresent third person to watch out for our safety, because in reality it isn't. Then we get upset when that omnipresent person isn't there and those around us turn out to be less than perfect.

Teenagers get all pissy at everything their parents say and find fault all over the place. It isn't till they get a bit older that they see their parents were just people too. Same with diving. Some DM's are just there for the free air and some instructors were just new divers a day or two ago.

A new diver ought to start developing some sense of discernment and not "trust" everything, everybody says to them. In diving it's better to think like a wolf and not a sheep.

Information out of context, or concepts that are not fully understood rarely get applied in the way they were intended and usually get even more compromised when repeated by the people/person who originally had it out of context or didn't fully understand it.

IMO this is what leads to a great deal of the "poor" advice out there, in some cases it is just a Scuba snob being a Scuba snob and doing the " if you don't do it my way its not the right way" regardless of training and skill level.

All jests aside, when a new diver is being exposed to opinions and advices, just be gracious & thank the givers then file these opinions and advices for future references.

What was the situation? Where you in the way of someone who was ready to go? I go over all my checks before I leave my seat. If I leave my seat, I'm ready to splash. On the other hand, it sounds like someone was rude to you. That's never the right behavior. Communication should be polite.

In the way? No. I just stood up. It works for me to do my mental checks standing. Nor do I think anyone meant to be rude, just that people tend to forget that mental checks or buddy checks don't come as fast to a vacation rec diver as they do to those that dive way more often.

The thought occurred to me at that point that some newbies might have jumped into motion . . . and that's how poorly secured weightbelts don't get noticed, or air-off doesn't get noticed, until in the water.

What puzzles me is that the experienced diver's response was 'move out', and not "is everything okay?" Was it because the DM could quickly ascertain by visual mental check that everything was okay?

What if the noob was considering calling the dive? That "move out" might have pushed him or her into diving when their instincts were saying 'don't'.

Please remember this isn't about me, as I have no problem challenging authority . . . :giggle: However, I am concerned that those less confident be unthinkingly compliant.

Jax:
In the way? No. I just stood up. It works for me to do my mental checks standing. Nor do I think anyone meant to be rude, just that people tend to forget that mental checks or buddy checks don't come as fast to a vacation rec diver as they do to those that dive way more often.

In that case, I have no idea why anyone would have tried to get you to move.

Jax:
The thought occurred to me at that point that some newbies might have jumped into motion . . . and that's how poorly secured weightbelts don't get noticed, or air-off doesn't get noticed, until in the water.

Air needs to be turned on and checked before putting on the rig and, unless you have a crotch strap, the weight belt should be donned and secured before putting on the rig. Mental checks need to be in the right order.

Jax:
What puzzles me is that the experienced diver's response was 'move out', and not "is everything okay?"

I'm puzzled by it too.

Jax:
Was it because the DM could quickly ascertain by visual mental check that everything was okay?

Nope.

Jax:
What if the noob was considering calling the dive? That "move out" might have pushed him or her into diving when their instincts were saying 'don't'.

Excellent point.

All jests aside, when a new diver is being exposed to opinions and advices, just be gracious & thank the givers then file these opinions and advices for future references.

The reverse happens as well. I've had conversations with new divers that are so certain they have it right and simply will not entertain a differing point of view. It happens here on SB as well.

The reverse happens as well. I've had conversations with new divers that are so certain they have it right and simply will not entertain a differing point of view. It happens here on SB as well.

That's why I don't give out advice unless my opinion is being solicited. However, if it's something that is an obvious hazard then I'll stop the person and tell him or her that he/she being unsafe. But even then I'll stop at that. Whether they heed my warnings or advices is up to them.

Having logged a few dives in various conditions over the years I've noticed the really good advice comes from the diver who first askes the question "what do you think?" or "what do you think you would/should do?"
Now that I'm an instructor I find I get asked advice and try to understand exactly what the diver is asking... by asking what they would do, this helps me understand their need and sometimes they can answer their own question.
I try not to give unasked advice unless the diver might unintentionally hurt themselves or others, and I always try to give my thoughts as "my opinion" not as gospel. I also try to do this quietly and one-on-one.
I have learned a lot from those who have asked me questions and hope those divers have learned a bit from me too.

I believe you asked how other's deal with "advice" from strangers. Since I travel to dive and do a lot of boat diving, there's no question I run into a lot of "experts" who can't wait to share their advanced knowledge with anyone who will listen. What I do is listen and if I think the person is full of doo doo, I nod and say something like "I see" or "oh, thanks".

In the case of the woman with the weights in her non-ditchable pockets, if she were trying to buddy with me, I'd tell her no and exactly why (briefly and clearly). If she weren't buddying with me, I'd likely mind my own business and keep it in mind if I had to rescue her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom