Configurations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterdogs

Reaction score
I've been reading some post on this subject, mostly geared to DIR, but I was hoping a few non DIR regulars can help a "new diver" with configurations.

Everything from 1st stage hose configurations (what's best) placement for Octo, SPG, etc. Hose lengths for each, clips, retractor placements.

Lost Yooper has showed my the "bungee" configuration for the backup (still working on it) but I wanted to know what else everyone is doing out there.

Comments please

Waterdogs

My approach to gear configuration is a bit different from most of what you'll hear - I let you know that up front. Most folks seem to want to settle on a single gear configuration, seeking that one best configuration that will work across the range of their diving. I don't do that - rather I change my gear configuration to meet the specific kind of diving I'm doing. On a cave dive you'll see me in a DIR rig (except I've recently discovered my old twist-on light may disqualify me... again... oh, well...), while on a tropical reef dive you'll see me with an integrated second/inflator and a tiny little tropical BC and a snorkel. This weekend, for example, I'm taking an open water class to the Springs, and the weather is going to be cold (for Lower Alabama) and rainy, water 68 F - so I'll be using a Pro-QD jacket BC and dry suit, integrated second/inflator, etc...
I select each piece of gear to give me the best level of safety, utility and comfort for the dives I'm doing. As a specific example, for these training dives I select the Pro-QD jacket over the Transpac or BP/wings because it gives me substantially better leverage on the surface should I need to support someone while they get their BC inflated.
So, in answer to your question, I need to ask you one... what sort of diving do you intend to do first and most often? There are robust rigs like DIR that you can use anywhere, or there are rigs like my little tropical one that's only good for the tropics but lighter and less complicated than DIR and would be just fine if tropical reef diving is all you intend to do.
Have fun...
Rick

Rick, since we are new here's the scenario we will probably follow for the next few years with trips in mind.

2002 - July 5 dives St.John (tropical
September Africa Trip (possibly 2 dives)
October Cozumel Trip (5)
November "Fla key's" 5 dives

I guess you could classify ALL TROPICAL. Rick we are new so i would say that the first 40 dives or so is strictly working recreational in the tropics.

does that help. I just didn't know 1st stage config's, hose positioning that may be appropriate. I just received our new gear and I plan on taking it to our LDS for set up (regs,computer)

thanks,

waterdogs.

IMO, virtually anything on the market will do what you want to do -- at least for the short term. What could a 27lb Halcyon wing (for example) and BP/harness do for you? What advantages does it have that you might be interested in?

Simplicity -- less likely to break.
Streamlining -- equates to better air consumption.
Comfort -- there's no squeezing around the torso.
Adaptability -- you can add weight integration, a pocket, change wings in minutes, etc.
Durability -- buying a quality wing will last you forever; the webbing will wear a bit and will need replacing ever four or five years (costs less than a dollar a foot and can be found anywere). You'll also have a new looking BC when you replace the webbing too :wink:.
Cost -- you may find that this set up may cost the same or just a bit more than a "conventional" BC (perhaps even less).

The down side to this type of set up is.... looks, I guess. It's not schnazzy lookin' with all kinds of purdy colors (though you can put any color webbing on you want :wink:) and gizmos. It's designed to be functional and effficient and that's about it.

As for regs, you can get an excellant quality backup often for less than one of those inflator/reg gizmos, and you'll never out grow it or want to get rid of it in the future.

Anyway, good luck and have fun in the tropics :).

Mike

Originally posted by waterdogs
I just received our new gear and I plan on taking it to our LDS for set up (regs,computer)

thanks,

waterdogs.
Well, the new gear itself will determine much of it.
In general, you want your octopus (assuming you have that rather than an integrated) positioned where you find in most convenient to find and deploy. That's usually in the "golden triangle" from belt buckle to either side of mid-chest. Make sure you have your console clipped off where you can get to it easily but it won't drag or dangle below you. Ideally it'll be clipped off in a way where you can read it too without unclipping.
Your LDS where you bought your gear will help you get it all right.
Rick

The nice thing about having your own gear, IMO, is that you can rig it how you want. Hose clips and octo holders are pretty cheap, so I don't feel enormously guilty about having changed mine a couple of times (I've had my BC for four months now and do the kind of recreational, tropical diving that you mention, although I dive more often than you plan to).

I have my console on a retractor, partly because it's good practice to keep it close to your body, but also because the retractor pulls it back to the same place every time, so I can find it easily. At the same time, if you read some of the old threads about retractors, you'll find plenty of people grumbling about them wearing out and breaking. I can live with the risk, because I have a couple of spare hose clips in the bottom of my dive bag, but you may feel differently. I like to look at other people's gear and then experiment with mine... but then I'm a gear freak!

Since at least one of your computers is air-integrated, I guess you've already thought about the wrist/console issue.

For the regs, my guess is that the people in the dive shop will assemble them in the standard way, and that should be fine until you come up with a reason to have them rigged differently. If it ain't broke, etc...

Have fun,

Zept

Thanks for the info Zept and Lost I plan on taking my gear over to the LDS today for them to set up, check out since we will use it next week for our final confined class.

Again, thanks, I will look at some other threads regarding "hose lengths", etc. to gain some additional insights.

waterdogs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom