Conditions this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know what the conditions have been like at breakwater the past few days? How's the vis? We want to dive but are a little on the fence.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

Models look like 4-6ft Sat & Sun around the Breakwater area with 8-14ft outside in the bay. I don't rely on this model 100%, but it usually makes for a pretty good estimate of how tough you're entry will be.

I'll be on the Escapade this Sat and can post what conditions look like when we pass Breakwater.

fm_mon_xxx.png

Thanks. Yeah, we've learned not to rely too much on the model. We've had some really good days diving when the model suggested extra bed time would be a good idea.

Was hoping anyone who has been in the water the past few days could give a viz report.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk

Quick check of the buoys...

NDBC - Station 46042

NDBC - Station 46240

show the wave heights have more than doubled since noon today and a weak system is moving in on the satellite loop HERE Click the animate button to get to the loop options. This is the water vapor imagery. I don't see it being torrential, but I also don't see it breaking up either.

A viz report from the last couple days probably is no longer valid since the waves off of Lovers Pt. are currently over 6 feet instead of their normal 2-3 feet from this morning.

Hope this helps. (Maybe there needs to be a weather sticky)

Jon

Jon, just teach us how to read them??

To start with, just focus your eyes on WVHT and the Time of day.
This is what 4 years of college had prepared me for! :D

does not compute
\

Those are the "easy" sites to decipher. The definitions are at the top of the data and if you click on the chart icons, changing conditions become even more clear.

If you want all the details...

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/index.html

...and select the E Pacific options. Everything you could want regarding west coat weather is there, if you know how to read it. The technical aspects are easy to learn or even figure out for yourself, but recognizing the patterns comes with experience.

Weather and conditions forecasting is just another skill the self-sufficient diver needs to develop, especially when traveling. It's really not that difficult and with the web you can pull up satellite loops for anywhere in the would and easily predict the next 6-8 hours based on the previous 24-48 hours of satellite imagery. Predicting a couple days out requires a little more data and experience.

Jon

It's all pulled together at http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/swell/wamglance.html

BTW, does anybody know what the NOAA folks are smoking:

.TODAY...NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. NW SWELL
6 TO 8 FT AT 11 SECONDS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN.

All the other forecasts are WAY bigger. The buoy is reporting 12 feet just now.
Energy content is proportional to the cube of the height.

Me, I'm staying home today and reworking a couple of the 50-year-old drawer slides in
Adm. Linda's kitchen. I'll be in Monterey tonight, but I suspect Sunday will
find me doing some maintenance on the dive shack and my boat trailer.

It's not about diving all of the good days, but rather about diving none
of the bad days.

Chuck

As of 11:30 Saturday, BW is quite diveable and visibility is about 10'. There were a few amusing episodes of "Bowling for Divers" early this morning, but all in all I would say it was nowhere near as fearsome as forecast. Seas at the Monterey buoy have now calmed from 15' down to 12', so things are looking up!

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom