Conditions this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Jim of the Escapade said the morning conditions were waist high waves. He mentioned a few amusing episodes of instructors doing the crab walk in and out of the beach to avoid some waves.

We canceled our tec trip and I got the chance to checkout BW @ 10:30am. Here's what it looked like:
111105_001.jpg111105_002.jpg111105_003.jpg

The waves were still waist high at best, but keep in mind this was low tide. Viz looked around 5-10 feet, very small longshore current near the wall but otherwise I would guess that there would be little to no surge if you got away from it. I never actually got in the water though. There were several classes in progress, but the lot wasn't as packed as it usually is on a Saturday. Air temp was 55F; chilly and cloudy.

I would have dove the Breakwater today.

We went to Lobos this (Saturday) morning in hopes of finding civilized conditions only to hear at the gate that seven of eight teams had already left without diving. The only team that had gone in said viz was zero in the cove and quite surgey. We went to the lookout and saw some fairly gnarly swell, so we decided to give Breakwater a try.

Breakwater was quite decent today. We did a relaxed, 104-minute dive to about the end of the wall. Viz was around 10' with some light surge. Best of all, we saw two juvenile mola molas on our way back! Aside from that (my first), it won't go down as the most memorable B/W dive, but I'm glad we did it.

We did the metridium side and vis was terrible, maybe 5ft max with lots of surge still you got down to about 25ft depth. When we reached 35ft, vis opened up a bit, but it was still rather cloudy with large particulates. Passed several dead molas and one almost dead one, and the sea nettles were starting to get think around 40ft. Just after the end of the large pipe, we saw 3 live molas, but as soon as they saw us, they went the other direction and disappeared into the gloom and a small blockade of jellies prevented us from following. Flash photos were pointless, I may have taken 10 photos max and mostly of a cool nudibranch, a tiny moon snail, and a ballsy goose that was in the park walking up to people looking for hand outs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom