Conditions/reports OTHER than lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

josh1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I would post this thread in case there are any other divers that have done dives in any of the other local lakes here in the Phoenix area, ie Canyon, Saguaro lakes, etc. They can report on what they are experiencing there.

I have been out on Canyon and Saguaro and Bartlett lakes on the boat to wakeboard but not diving. I have been monitoring the water all summer. Canyon looked bad all summer (couldn't even see the propellor, only a foot or so under the water), but 2 weeks ago I went out to Canyon and I finally saw the prop under the water. Then when I jumped in to wakeboard, I looked down into the water and noticed I could actually see down (sort-of) as far as I could reach. Probably about 2' visibility, but that is better than 0'.

So I thought I would put this thread up for anyone that attempts to dive anywhere other than Lake Pleasant they can report on the conditions. I would be interested in diving other places than Lake Pleasant if someone else has done a dive there and reports on the conditions.

10-2-08 Sagauro
Thick, green. Took the boat out, gear never hit the water.
Vis, you could see your kneecap only if you bent your leg a little.
Little traffic, but the visiters were nice.:cool2:
She just wanted a ride (in the boat)

Attachments

• PA020035.jpg
    PA020035.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 66
Dove Saguaro Lake last month at the Project Aware "Splash for Trash". We dove in the area between the boat ramp and Keyhole. Vis varied between the length of your arm to the other side of your mask. Temp was about 78 degrees. Need a light below about 30 feet. I don't recall if we found a thermocline.

I'm planning on diving at Roosevelt on Thanksgiving weekend. You're welcome to join me. We'll be camping up there with a group of "ground Pounders" (non-divers). I figure after about a half hour with these people I'll be contemplating opening my wrists. It would be very cool if some divers showed up to save my life by diving with me.
Okay, I'm just kidding about the opening my wrists part. At least not in a half hour. I'm pretty sure that I can last until Saturday. :)

Steve.

I have dove Saguaro on multiple occasions. The conditions vary little (aptly described above). I will still dive it if someone is desperate enough to go.

Hey Steve, I might just go dive Roosevelt with you on Thanksgiving weekend. Not sure how the vis will be nor do I know exactly what my plans will be that weekend but I am sure I am not going to work for 4 days! So maybe Friday or Saturday I might be able to do a dive. Probably Friday but I'll let you know.

I was thinking of going to Canyon next Thursday (23rd). Just taking the boat out to run the engine, but I'll take a look at the water conditions there. Maybe I might be able to do a dive too, if someone else can go. I am guessing it will be a foot or two better than Saguaro still. It usually is a bit better than Saguaro.

Canyon Lake, October 23rd.
Temp. a nice chilly 67.9 degrees at the surface.
Visability a very greenish 5 - 7 feet.

I didn't dive, but just brought snorkel, mask and fins to dive off the boat. I didn't get any readings at depth of temp of course, or any visibility beyond 10 feet deep or however deep I can dive with a snorkel.

This still looked better than the lake has looked 3 months ago in the middle of the summer. Perhaps it might be better a few months from now, but that temp was getting chilly. Just 4 weeks ago today I was last there on the boat and the surface temp was 75.4 degrees.

Just a reminder that I'll be camping at Lake Roosevelt on thanksgiving weekend and plan to dive on Friday and Saturday. Anyone is welcome to join us for a day or camp with us. I've never dove Lake Roosevelt before. If anyone has some insights, let me know.

Steve.

Canyon Lake:
Noveber 21st
Location: the small cove under the single lane bridge as you drive to the lake.
Temp: 63.5 degrees
Vis: Maximum of 6 ft. Useful visibility 3-4 ft.

Dove just to a depth of 25ft and it started to really get dark, even at 25' deep probably due to the visibility being so low. I could see my fins and the line from the boat as I decended but nothing beyond that until I got down to the anchor, then realized the anchor was floating and not resting on the bottom. Had to go back up and tell my wife to let out more line since we were drifiting. Dove back down again to 25' but still was dark and I could just barely let go of the anchor line at full arms length and just a few inches beyond that before I started to lose sight of the line. Thus a useful vis of 3'-4'.

There was also a very rough chop on the surface and gusty winds. This might have contributed to the vis being bad but even down at 25' it didn't get any clearer.

This is still poor compared to Lake Pleasant, but at least much better than earlier this summer where I couldn't even see my hand down in the water just 1' down.

With the winds we had today I would be surprised if anyone was on the lake. Pleasant must have had some whitecaps on it. Oh, right, this is the "OTHER then lake Pleasant" thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom