Conditions / Recommendations for Bull Shoals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coopa

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm headed to Bull Shoals this weekend to get one last weekend in before the summer starts to wrap up. I've never dove here or even been there before for that matter.

Any recent dive conditions? The latest post on Midwest Muck Divers (» Bull Shoals) is back to April.

Any suggestions on where to dive? I will probably end up renting a boat so im open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Saturday is the Sand Island Underwater Treasure Hunt on NorFork lake by Jordan Marina. lots of divers an lots 'O gear to win.

Ya their web site gives very little info about events other than the chest hunt that goes on throughout the season. The club was a dream that needs a lot of work. But the hunt is on sand island Jordan runs a boat for divers that can't get out their on their own it cost $30.00 and you get a tee shirt for your entry and its a lot of fun to see as many as a hundred divers in the water at one time. They have dogs and burgers at the prize portion of the day. Entry starts at nine and the dive hunt starts at ten. I will be out their but sadly ill be teaching a class :( but my wife and other friends will have a good time. So if you want to try something new this could be it have fun and safe diving!

we decided to go to Norfolk instead. were gonna do the treasure hunt then head out on the boat. So im revising the title of this thread if possible to reflect Norfolk Lake.

Yes the viz is very poor on norfork right now 5ft is about right before the t-line and opens up after that to around 15ft and better as you go deeper. It's been hard running ow skills in only 5-10ft viz at best

BLEH! that sucks to hear the vis is such crap. ill probably run my GoPro for the treasure hunt so you'll have a sample of the vis. ill post conditions here and on muckdivers as well. Any recommendations on other dive sites to hit while were down there? im going to have a boat for the day so i can get around a bit.

Traditionally, closer to the dam will be the better diving (viz wise). When the conditions are bad we tend to dive on the left side of the dam (driving in from a boat). Fairly fun dive. To the right of the dam is where the dynamite shack is located and a pretty fun dive. Also in that area is Devils Backbone that is a nice shallow dive with some great rock formations. All these sites are closer to the dam; which again, tends to have the better viz. We also like diving near the bluffs by Jordan across from Sand Island. This is where people jump off the rocks from the campground. Some nice rock formations and typically find all kinds of things.

Snagel

Yes the shack has good viz but sitting at around forty ft. The bluffs at Jordan are a hit and miss right now, the bluffs across from the dam are good right now with cat fish to see and great wall dive that goes deep. Jordan has a good map that has gps on most of the dive sites.

Back
Top Bottom