Conditions in the Upper Keys after Katrina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I can't keep my eyes off the Weather Channel! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be storm free for the next two weeks.....
Phil and I begin our 6-day dive extravaganza in Key Largo on Thursday, September 1st. I'm wondering, how did you all weather the storm?

Doreen

Well, I hear Big Pine Key got thrashed. Roofing blown off houses, trees knocked down. At least one wooden deck patio went bye bye.

Doreen 5269:
I can't keep my eyes off the Weather Channel! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we will be storm free for the next two weeks.....
Phil and I begin our 6-day dive extravaganza in Key Largo on Thursday, September 1st. I'm wondering, how did you all weather the storm?

Doreen
All is well in paradise. We had a lot of wind and rain as Kathleen moved thru, and some of us were without power for a day. In other words, we got lucky. Visibility at Molasses Reef was reportedly in the forty foot range yesterday, and should continue to improve. Come on down!

Key Largo dive conditions are back to normal! We had one foot seas and ~60' of viz at the Benwood Wreck and French Reef this morning, and heard reports of ~70' of viz and no current at the Spiegel Grove.

I'm amazed at how quickly the visibility has recovered since Hurricane Katrina! On Sunday, Ocean Divers ventured out and reported less than 10' of visibilty. Yesterday, Dual Porpoise called-in ~40' of viz at Molasses Reef. Today, things appear to be back to normal (if there is such a thing) for this time of year.

That's good to know Brent. Thanks...

On a different note Brent, do you know if the Neptune's Hideaway closed down? I've been trying to call for reservations and the phone is disconnected and their website isn't up.

Thanks man.

I was just down there this Monday (29th) and had my first shot at the Spiegel Grove. Huge sunken ship. I went with a shop called Silent World at Key Largo. Anyway, we had slight current, which was okay once we got down to 90-100ft, but gave you a hard time trying to swim against it at 60ft or so. Visibility wasn't bad at all. Close to 30ft or 10m. Water temp is comfortable as usual, wetsuits optional.

(edit) just saw keylargobrent's post. Glad to hear everything is back to normal, cuz that means I'm headin' down there really soon!

Scubaguy62:
That's good to know Brent. Thanks...

On a different note Brent, do you know if the Neptune's Hideaway closed down? I've been trying to call for reservations and the phone is disconnected and their website isn't up.

Thanks man.
Sadly, Neptune's Hideaway is sold and closed. Hobo's and Kelly's are also sold, but remain open for now.

Good news!!! I will be down in late October with my two sons. The upright Spiegel is what I what to see. Hopefully no more hurricanes! The people I met while diving in Key Largo last January were absoultely great. Can't wait to get back in the salt water.

KeyLargoBrent:
Sadly, Neptune's Hideaway is sold and closed. Hobo's and Kelly's are also sold, but remain open for now.

Dang, the old hangouts are going bye bye...that's sad indeed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom