Conditions In Curacao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skyhawk133

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Figures we'd go 2 1/2 months with no storms then the week of our trip they are lined up. Accuweather is predicting heavy surf and rip currents from Ana. If we can make it in/out of Miami on Thursday (predicted landfall of Ana in Florida), I think we'll avoid any effects from Ana on Curacao, but can those in the area keep this thread updated as these storms blow by.

Thanks!

We sometimes do have effects of storms in the Caribbean. Someone more knowledgeable can post the more scientific explanation but... when there are large storms, they suck all of our wind from the island to add to their fury and build the intensity of that storm. As a result our 86 to 93 degree days feel much hotter and far more humid than usual. If the storm is on a southern track (Anna, Bill and Claudette are far to our north Tropical Weather : Weather Underground ) the tail will occasionally whip around from the south and create large waves. Today Westpunt Bay is flat. Diners last night said that Watamula had no current at all yesterday. There is a group of SBers diving Alice in Wonderland tomorrow morning and Watamula in the afternoon. We can give you an update to get you excited before you arrive.

Perfect! Thanks for the update :)

Latest track has Ana far North of Miami by the time we're supposed to make our connection so that's looking good.

We experienced strong and changing currents including rip currents at Jan Thiel Lighthouse this Saturday. We really had to fight to come back to where we started the dive because the current changed during the dive. It could be caused as Sunshine said in her mail because of the tropical depressions and storms far far away although currents at that site are quite common.
One of the divers in that same group talked about strong currents at Vaersenbay the day before. During a dive in the Caracasbay on Sunday we also felt changing currents but these were of a very moderate strength.
Always start against the current and adapt your plan if the current changes during the dive.

I would love to, but unfortunately I am not able to take (part of) the day off. It sounds like fun though. So to all participants: enjoy the day, the beauty of Watamula under water and the delicious pizza after the dive.

Figures we'd go 2 1/2 months with no storms then the week of our trip they are lined up. Accuweather is predicting heavy surf and rip currents from Ana. If we can make it in/out of Miami on Thursday (predicted landfall of Ana in Florida), I think we'll avoid any effects from Ana on Curacao, but can those in the area keep this thread updated as these storms blow by.
Thanks!

Ana has reduced in strenght and isn't a factor in the airtrafic around Miami. Hurricane Bill is still out on the ocean and will probably stay there. Bill has no influence on the weather of the ABC islands, but the North eastern states may get a fair portion of rain in or after the weekend.
Here the wind is less than we had the previous weeks, the sun is shining and there are some small clouds. Everything looks good for your travel and stay here.
Welcome, Bon Bini.

Thanks Kukuisa!

We'll be staying at Breezes and diving with Ocean Encounters. Aug 20-27. Anyone else diving with OE then? Wanna show me how to use my new camera + strobe?! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom