Conditions at Tenkiller--??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have recent general diving conditions at Lake Tenkiller?

I was at Tenkiller last Saturday the 4th. . . There was a crowd of new divers at the state park dive site and the mud was stirred up. If that's where you want to go, bring a dive flag and dive to the north (bluffs) or south (sandy flat) of the bouys for better viz. Crappie point was better viz if you're not following new divers, go inside the cove for a protected and generally clear dive. My friends and I were diving from a boat and where ever we found rocky or sandy areas we had 6 to 15 feet of viz. Some of our dive sites were in muddy areas and we found silt with 1 foot viz with 10 foot viz close buy. . . There are more boats than usual due to other lakes being closed, and they affect where you can dive. If you dive below the thermocline, about 30 feet, the visibility was 8 to 15 feet and getting dark. The two dive shops, Gene's Pro Shop and Tim's Nautical Adventures can help you find dive site advise.

Thanks for taking the time to highlight the dive areas and water conditions. :wink:

I bet the water at 80 feet and down is pretty cool dude :wink:
I can see it in my near future :wink:

Timeliner. . . because we were hunting catfish, most of our time was spent shallow. . . but I did drop below the thermocline in several places, and the viz was getting better as I went deeper. My dive partners don't like the cold and prefer to hunt for supper, so I don't go deep as much as I used to.

If you don't have a boat, try the north side of Pine Cove. Swim or wade from the campground out to the visible rocks on that point and then go down. Big boulders, standing trees and good viz because it's in the old river chanel. The only other deep shore dives into the river chanel is at Crappie point and at Burnt Cabin point. Burnt Cabin is further away from the dam, on the west side of the lake. In dry weather you can take a dirt road to the very end of the point and enter the water on the north of the point then turn south to the visible bluff. . . pick your depth because it is in the river chanel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom