Conditions at Jocassee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
Was thinking of going to Jocassee this weekend. I was there in the spring. Was wondering what the conditions were like now. Visibility? Water temp? (I wore a double 7M last time is that still necessary, or did the water warm up?) Thinking of going Saturday, any help before then would be great.
Thanks
Bernie

berniechip2003:
Hi,
Was thinking of going to Jocassee this weekend. I was there in the spring. Was wondering what the conditions were like now. Visibility? Water temp? (I wore a double 7M last time is that still necessary, or did the water warm up?) Thinking of gouing Saturday, any help before then would be great.
Thanks
Bernie
VIZ AT 60' LAST SATURDAY WAS AROUND 20' I WORE A 5MM AND WAS WARM AT 60', AT AROUND 100' VIZ WAS AROUND 5' OR LESS AND I WAS COLD BUT NOT UNBEARABLE. CLEARED UP A LITTLE AROUND 110' . I'M 6' 0" AND WEIGH 175#, I THINK THAT YOUR SIZE MAKES A DIFFERANCE IN HOW COMFORTABLE YOU ARE WITH "X" WETSUIT.

cahendrick:
VIZ AT 60' LAST SATURDAY WAS AROUND 20' I WORE A 5MM AND WAS WARM AT 60', AT AROUND 100' VIZ WAS AROUND 5' OR LESS AND I WAS COLD BUT NOT UNBEARABLE. CLEARED UP A LITTLE AROUND 110' . I'M 6' 0" AND WEIGH 175#, I THINK THAT YOUR SIZE MAKES A DIFFERANCE IN HOW COMFORTABLE YOU ARE WITH "X" WETSUIT.

Hey Cahendrick, just wondering which dive shop you were taking your advanced course with? I read in another thread you were about half way through. How are the instructors? I got my open water in PA. The instructors were horrible. I got through but didn't learn much. Everything I learned was on my own through reading, diving, or by meeting other people while diving. I don't want to make that mistake again. I'd like to find good instructos for my advanced open water. Which I want to take soon.

If anyone else can recommend anyone, near Columbia SC (or within a resonable distance) it would be appreciated.

Dove Sat. 10-16-04 night dive at the wall. Viz 15-20 feet. was choppy with the wind. But beautiful stars and we could see the Milky Way.
Dove Sun 10-17-2004 at 2 pm at the wall. Viz 20' at 60'. probably 30' at 130' , Temp 59 degrees at 130'. Thermocline @ 100' , but no muck layer with viz less than 5' like last week at the ramp. Just got clearer the deeper I went. Great dive.

Probably be getting there late morning and diving through mid-afternoon or so..... hope to see a few out there.

berniechip2003:
Hi,
Was thinking of going to Jocassee this weekend. I was there in the spring. Was wondering what the conditions were like now. Visibility? Water temp? (I wore a double 7M last time is that still necessary, or did the water warm up?) Thinking of going Saturday, any help before then would be great.
Thanks
Bernie

Dove off the remote ramp yesterday temp was 68 visibility only around 10 foot at
50 feet depth. If you make it out there check out the skeleton we strapped an old steel tank and a prehistoric dacor rig on it. It was a good trip got to watch some kind
of helicopter training where it would get so close to the water as to put its ramp into
the water.

Back
Top Bottom