Condition report: Scuba Point PK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Water at the surface was warm, possibly 80's, first thermocline was at 37 feet very sharp drop in temperature with temperature dropping from that depth down, visibility was about 2 feet, I could see that there were objects as far away as 4 feet, but had to be 2 or less to make out what it was, in some places the water was very tannic that my light showed a lot of red, looking up at what light was making it down to me was also red, we were swimming into trees because we couldn't see them.

The owner told us down deep the vis was great, so we went down there, 70 feet (7 mil no hood no gloves) and it was COLD, 57 degrees and the vis was probably, 6 to 8 feet, which was like awsome compared to what it was like above that. With no hood I couldn't stand to stay down there that long.

Thanks for the report. Texdiveguy and I are going there tomorrow morning and I will post a report on return. This will be my first PK dive. I am reallying looking forward to it.

Willie

Alan & I dove scuba point yesterday. I only got in two dives and I believe he got in another after I left. I hope he will post a report on that dive.

We found conditions pretty much as FIXXERVI6 reported. Water temp was 82 on the surface and 61 at max depth of 60'. It was quite dark but decent vis (10-12' I estimate) below about 50'.

There was definitely a layer of funky water between 40-50', it smelled terrible, kind of sulfur like to me. The shop owner told Alan there is a gas well somewhere that is leaking, but it doesnt leak enough for the EPA to shut it down. I didnt hear where he said that was.

First dive we went out to the edge of the park and then right and followed the wall, quite a few trees and a sheer wall, didnt see too much, but it was nice.

Second dive we went left on the wall, more trees one with a huge trunk, but the wall was more interesting. Found a small opening that went as far back as the flashlight would illuminate. Looked to me like it probably drains surface water to the lake when it rains. There were also numerous overhangs.

Alan had agreed to bring his steel 130 for me to try. I didnt get the trim right on the first dive and was definitely head heavy. Adjusted the tank position for the second dive and dropped two pounds from the ditchable pockets and had it quite nice.

The highlight of this spot was definitely the sheer walls. It is a shame the vis isnt better throughout the water column allowing light to penetrate a bit deeper.

Willie

Willie,,, nice diving with you yesterday,,,,always a pleasure. My third dive solo was much like our first,,,,followed a similar path and profile. I think the interesting feature to our second run was how the wall changed over to a 'granite' or similair material....very hard/course and had good reflective properties. The water column below 50ffw was not bad with 10-12ft. of vis.. :)

(Playful emoticon) :1poke:
OK, everyone go clean your gear…
This area has been hit with golden algae for a number of years now.
I really don’t think you will get sick but it might be a nice idea to rinse out the regulators and BC’s. Just thinking out loud.

Andrew

Crazyduck:
(Playful emoticon) :1poke:
OK, everyone go clean your gear…
This area has been hit with golden algae for a number of years now.
I really don’t think you will get sick but it might be a nice idea to rinse out the regulators and BC’s. Just thinking out loud.

Andrew

!!! Andrew that was my first chore once home....always do anyways,,,but a bit more rinsing this time !!! :)

I didnt get my gear rinsed yet, except in Lake Traivs, but I will be putting it in a tank first thing in the morning and letting it soak for at least 24 hours.

There was definitely stuff in the water, especially at certain levels. It seemed to me to be worst just above the second thermocline. I felt that I could actually taste the stuff and at one point did have some particles that were noticeable enter my mouth. I sometimes take in just a bit of water intentionally when my mouth is starting to feel dry and then blow it back out. I instinctively did this at some point on the second dive and it was not the best timing.

I would like to try that wall again Alan. I would like to have gone farther and also to try following what seemed to be a little plateau (where we turned) out to see how far till it dropped off again.

I think that I have a pretty good map of PK, I cant remember if it has bottom contours, I will have to try and find it. Anyone got a good contour of the Scuba Point area?

Willie

wet-willie:
I didnt get my gear rinsed yet, except in Lake Traivs, but I will be putting it in a tank first thing in the morning and letting it soak for at least 24 hours.

There was definitely stuff in the water, especially at certain levels. It seemed to me to be worst just above the second thermocline. I felt that I could actually taste the stuff and at one point did have some particles that were noticeable enter my mouth. I sometimes take in just a bit of water intentionally when my mouth is starting to feel dry and then blow it back out. I instinctively did this at some point on the second dive and it was not the best timing.

I would like to try that wall again Alan. I would like to have gone farther and also to try following what seemed to be a little plateau (where we turned) out to see how far till it dropped off again.

I think that I have a pretty good map of PK, I cant remember if it has bottom contours, I will have to try and find it. Anyone got a good contour of the Scuba Point area?

Willie

We will def. hit that 'wall' again!! Found it interesting the information on the full cave in that area,,,,,seems the locals might have a find of sorts.

Notice to group: I am planning on diving Scuba Point Sat. Aug 5 at approx. 9:30 - 10:00am.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom