Condenser stack on Mako

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro12

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I was in the LDS today and I overheard the two employees there at the time talking about the condenser being plugged up and not draining correctly anymore. It's in a rectangular stack about 4 ft tall w/ the Mako name on it (though I'm pretty sure the compressor is 'frankensteined' from other parts). They said that when they opened the condenser stack up and looked inside, it was filled w/ what looked like fat and compressor oil. The air test certificate they have posted up declaring their air as certified Grade E is from May of 2006.

Does this sound like a problem bad enough that it should curb me from getting fills there?

If so, now my problem is that they're the only place for air fills within about 120 miles.

Maybe I don't really want the answer after all.

Air testing is really only good for that day. But a year old is really too long for a commercial operation. Most go with quarterly, although I hesitate to call that "industry standard"

As far as the oil goes, it is fairly normal to have small amounts of oil in a condensor. I.e. 98% moisture with a oily tinge. Enough oil to plug up the drain lines is unusual. But its possible a good operation has an anomaly upstream of the filters and still produces good air.

Questions to ask:
Do they have realtime moisture monitoring? What about CO? Do they produce air suitable for blending with O2 (modified grade E with <0.1ppm hydrocarbons aka hyperfiltered)? How do they know when to change their filters?

Ask some tough questions. If they give you blank stares, find another shop.

If they give you an answer but you're not sure what it means... Ask again, they should know this stuff. Otherwise try to reiterate it here and we'll see about helping interpret.

Do they have realtime moisture monitoring?

Definitely not.

What about CO?

Not that either.

Do they produce air suitable for blending with O2 (modified grade E with <0.1ppm hydrocarbons aka hyperfiltered)?

Nope - one of the reasons that I don't have access to EANx around here.

How do they know when to change their filters?

This is the only question that I don't know already and I will have to ask them. I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be something like "oh, usually yearly."

Again though, I have no other option within about 120 miles. I guess even if I ran my own compressor I still wouldn't have real-time moisture or CO2 monitoring, but at least I'd know how the maintenance was.

Real time moisture and CO monitoring is not necessary or needed to produce good air if compressor operation and maintenance are preformed as needed and required. I have run a compressor for 40+ years with only my eyes, ears, nose and common sense as monitors. If you don't trust them and you don't want a 120 mile drive you have two options, 1 quit diving, 2 get a compressor. The two most important pieces of diving equipment I own are a compressor and a boat. I could do without the boat but not the compressor.

captain:
Real time moisture and CO monitoring is not necessary or needed to produce good air if compressor operation and maintenance are preformed as needed and required.

I definately agree that its not 100% necessary. However, its dirt cheap nowadays and allows me to safely stretch my filters for <$80. Monitoring time + temp is less reliable and has definately led to contaminant breakthrough.

Both give an indication of how diligent this facility is about their gas quality. I suspect the answer is "not very". The issue is not is much the waxy oil accumulation, its overall maintenance and compressor care that appears lacking.

hydro12:
They said that when they opened the condenser stack up and looked inside, it was filled w/ what looked like fat and compressor oil.

Their auto drain system is malfunctioning ... it happens. Once they clean it out and repair whatever is wrong with the actuator, it should drain just fine.

But like has been said, ask them how often they look at and/or change filters. If they look at them at least weekly, and change when indicated, then they care about their air and finding the sludge is an example of that. If they give you those blank stares that has been mentioned ... well, I'll make you a great deal on a personal compressor! :wink:

The deposits described as "fat" are in fact paraffin wax. Formerly, paraffin oils were used in divers' air compressors. Typically, these may contain 10-25% wax. Deposits will form at bottlenecks and cul de sacs such as relief valves. The interstage separator is probably harboring the stuff as well as the final. I have never heard of these deposits being laid down when using ester based synthetic oils. Perhaps a change to Chemlube 800 triester will cure the problem. A flush procedure may be necessary.

Well-noted. Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I'll see what they say about how often they change the filters. But I really get the feeling hardly ever. The only time they ever change the oil is when the compressor starts "clicking." That's been once in the year I've been getting fills from them (and they fill probably 20 alu80's/day).

hydro12:
The only time they ever change the oil is when the compressor starts "clicking." That's been once in the year I've been getting fills from them (and they fill probably 20 alu80's/day).

Oh boy!! Let me now who they are ... I smell a compressor that isn't going to last much longer and a possible sale!! :D

Yeah, and they had to hire a guy to come out and do some sort of maintenance on it recently because the last "clicking" episode wasn't remedied by the prescribed annual oil change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom