"Conch" with a hard k or "conch" with a soft "cha"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm. I've been eating a lot of conch ceviche too...

scbababe:
O.K. my friend, warning do not confuse eating concha, to eating cho---. :wink: , although in Argentina concha is synonym to cho---!
:11: I'll never make that mistake, to be sure! :laugh:

I did once order "la polla" at a restaurant in Spain. I don't know if that is just a slang word in Spain or whether it's general Spanish, but it doesn't mean chicken! Not a good thing to ask the waiter for. :blush:

simbrooks:
Its more like "he has a huge conk" or "what a weird shaped conk", nose is typically used for your examples. However i have no idea where conkers came from (horse chestnuts - no idea if you know what i am talking about though).

Look at the conk on that guy! It's almost a salchichon!

(Could it be that these two threads are merging - say is isn't so!)

GrierHPharmD:
Look at the conk on that guy! It's almost a salchichon!

(Could it be that these two threads are merging - say is isn't so!)
Very good use of that noun - i have never used the word (nor seen in real life) conch, but i have used conk before.

Well, Simon, we'll just have to share some cracked conch and a beer or several after the reef cleanup...

I have created a monster!

scubadobadoo:
Okay, I grew up in Florida and was taught in Marine Bio. class that Conch was pronounced with a hard K sound on the end. My friend from Cleveland swears it is Conch with a soft ending like "cha." Make sense? Solve this issue. What's your opinion? My Grand Cayman book states "Conch is pronounced with a hard K sound." Maybe both are correct? :06:

Always thought it was pronounced as "konk", but maybe it depends on where you are from. Just a thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom