Concerns about my regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJW

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have Cressi-sub Ellipse regulator along with octo and first stage.

Anyway, when I dove in Cananadaigua Lake which is in western New York, I went about 70 feet deep and way below thermoline - about 55 degree F. I felt the coldness in my teeth and my throat is a bit dried up - I thought, probably from the air that "cold" up from the cord that is attached to my first stage.

Is that normal or is it just my regulator that is not fitted for the cold water? I was breathing just fine in that depth but I am wondering about your experiences and opinions.

Thanks!

The coldness is normal. I think the Ellipse is an unbalanced piston so it's designed to let water get inside the first stage to keep it balanced for ambient pressure... You should be able to see little holes in the first stage to confirm this. I wouldn't take it in to really freezing water like under 45F / 8C but above that it shouldn't be any more prone to freezing than an environmentally sealed reg.

R..

I agree with turner, have you ever dove this cold before? Personally I take it for granted (not for any reason except that I know nothing else) but believe it or not I dove with a guy who once emptied a tank because he hadn't dove in the cold before. I always thought that the rules about conservatism and other stuff in cold water in the text books was BS but now I guess it isn't for people who are used to the warm. As for the reg, I think that because the Cressi is not a cold water reg it may perofmr differently. If this really bothers you, I guess that you could look into one of theose Apollo biofilter thingies. They humidify the air for you.

Thanks guys! Apprenciated all your inputs. I am curious about the new regulator, which one would be good for me? I am thinking about sell it in winter and buy a new one.

If this is where you are going to be doing a considerable amount of diving, I would see and LDS in this area, as they should have a regulator selection catered towards that climate of diving. Apeks, Aqualung, Sherwood, and the like.

rescuediver009:
If this is where you are going to be doing a considerable amount of diving, I would see and LDS in this area, as they should have a regulator selection catered towards that climate of diving. Apeks, Aqualung, Sherwood, and the like.

I refused to go and ask about the regulators at LDS. LDS here have the limited line of regulators. They will sell what they have. I don't want that. I am just looking for people who can tell me which regulator I should consider. I will be diving in salt water, lakes, and anywhere - cold and warm. Here in NY, if we pass thermoline, there will be appox. 50 degree F. So I have to look for a regulator that is durable, easy to breath in depth, and works well in cold water. Since I already told you from my first post of this thread - that I have problems with my dry throat and etc... I wanted to solve all that problems.

I am looking toward to Sherwood Max. What do you think?

Thanks.

wildmtn:

Thanks.
I was about to suggest the Sherwood blizzard, but the Maximus is one better, you can even adjust it to breath for you, it is good for cold water, it has the moisture retantion fins, and is very reliable so I think that it meets your citeria. It is a good reg. The problem is that when you ask for advice on which reg to choose people always tell you that their reg is the best, or they suggest the biggest most expensive reg around...

wildmtn:
I have Cressi-sub Ellipse regulator along with octo and first stage.

Anyway, when I dove in Cananadaigua Lake which is in western New York, I went about 70 feet deep and way below thermoline - about 55 degree F. I felt the coldness in my teeth and my throat is a bit dried up - I thought, probably from the air that "cold" up from the cord that is attached to my first stage.

Is that normal or is it just my regulator that is not fitted for the cold water? I was breathing just fine in that depth but I am wondering about your experiences and opinions.

Thanks!
the cold air is normal :wink:

wildmtn:
I refused to go and ask about the regulators at LDS. LDS here have the limited line of regulators. They will sell what they have. I don't want that. I am just looking for people who can tell me which regulator I should consider. I will be diving in salt water, lakes, and anywhere - cold and warm. Here in NY, if we pass thermoline, there will be appox. 50 degree F. So I have to look for a regulator that is durable, easy to breath in depth, and works well in cold water. Since I already told you from my first post of this thread - that I have problems with my dry throat and etc... I wanted to solve all that problems.

Thanks.

The Sherwood 1st stage is first rate and the Maximus is a good regulator by any standards. On the other hand I think it's time that Sherwood makes an update for the maximus 2nd stage because, well, frankly, their 2nd stages are a little behind the curve. I especially don't like the single adjustment 2nd and for me it's a little bit wet but it sounds like you might like it a little wet.

R..

I would disagree with Ro, I think that the sherwood second stages are simple reliable and decent performers. They have minimal parts and are easy and cheap to service. Perfect for recreational divers everywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom