Computer's dive tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
I'm doing a project on diving statistics and thought I'd throw this one in. I want to only compare the computer's built in planning tables to see how the models differ. I know during actual dives, things are different so i'm just using the computers baseline info to compare. I came up with this by comparing my cobra to the RDP and noticing that the cobra is more conservative. Also, not personal settings, just the computer's baseline. So, if you would... pull out your dive computers and let me know what it says the baseline no deco limits are in planning mode for depths up to 130' and give me some feedback. Basically I want to compare the computers with each other as well as various dive tables. Also, if your computer is nitrox capable and it will give you times for that... list them also. I'll provide my data/charts for everyone to see when I put it all together. Also if anyone has copies of various dive tables you want to include, feel free to. Thanks and also let me know if you have any other sources of diving stats.

Do you have Suunto's software? You can download it for free from their website. It has a dive simulator for both air and nitrox.

Computers don't use "built in tables." Computers use models. A table is a representation of that model, not the entire model. Calculations are made for square dives (a dive which spends it's entire time at one depth) using a model to develop a table. Computers use the model and do calculations constantly during the dive. Computers are doing what the maker of the table did.

I have several tables and a comparison of NDL's I can share if you are interested.

I wonder if you understand decompression theory well enough to complete your project.

There are several threads which might assist you. I don't have time to make the necessary searches this morning.

i do understand... my computer does have a "PLanning Mode" that tells you based on a certain depth (just like a table) how many no-decompression minutes you have. THAT IS ALL I'M interested in. This built in planning mode is based on the computer's deco model. Do you understand? I'm not comparing actual diving situations, just the planning tables. Does anyone here have a clue what I'm saying? I know the computer doesn't "use" them... but they have them for those that do still plan their dives and not let the computer do it all for them. Do you just dive til your computer tells you to come up?

Ah! You want us to reply to what you meant to ask instead of what you asked. No problem. The terminology you want is you'd like the No Decompression Limits (NDL's) for all listed depths from various computers. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll list the NDL's from the Oceanic Data Plus later. If you want table NDL's, many are listed in another thread.

"Also, not personal settings, just the computer's baseline. So, if you would... pull out your dive computers and let me know what it says the baseline no deco limits are in planning mode for depths up to 130' and give me some feedback."

thats an exact quote walter... i guess i did say exactly what I meant to... did you? LET ME KNOW WHAT IT SAYS THE BASELINE NO DECO LIMITS ARE IN PLANNING MODE... i really don't want to be rude... but come on. Don't act like i don't understand what i'm asking when its spelled out for you plain as day. I can get all the tables also.
also... just for your information... i did make it clear that I wanted to compare dive computers with tables... the only way to do this is "apples to apples", (not NDL's to models) and thats what I want and asked for. I don't wish to compare the computers model. I asked for no deco limits for depths up to 130'. If i was unclear, forgive me, but don't make assumptions about what I do and do not know. My reason was so we could have baseline numbers to compare to the tables (like 30', 40', 50', 60', etc.) Just like dive tables are a representation of models... the NDL's in your dive computer are a representation of the computer's model... what do ya know... there's a good way to compare them... not to say one is better than the other... just to say this the a Suunto Cobra's NDL's compared to PADI's RDP and here's the Suunto's 32% nitrox NDL's compared to the 32% tables, etc. If i'm still unclear, don't bother.

one other thing... i made it clear in my very first post all of this including the fact that I realize computers calculate NDL's constantly during a dive...

"I want to only compare the computer's built in planning tables to see how the models differ. I know during actual dives, things are different so i'm just using the computers baseline info to compare."

Good explanation of what computers do Walter.

Here you go Jamiei,

Sherwood Scuba Logic

Depth, (feet) - NDL (min.)
30 - 260
40 - 137
50 - 80
60 - 57
70 - 40
80 - 30
90 - 24
100 - 19
110 - 16