Computers & DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsanders:
I know I'm hearing it Nth hand, but I've read the same thing in a few different threads now, and I find it increasingly spooky. Either it's a deterministic thing, which could be expressed in formulae or tables or even (gasp) on a computer, or it's not and no two divers will necessarily produce the same answers. And given the fact that one answer is probably going to be better than the other, that doesn't sound like a desirable condition. I know that the body is chaotic and not theoretically convenient and that all decompression theories are just approximations, but that isn't any less true just because you're doing the calculation on gray matter. So is GUE teaching people to use the Force or is there actual, predictable math involved? :)

Also, I had assumed this method was intended to be used as a very rough approximation when things went sideways, but it sounds like people are using this on the fly rather than following a pre-dive plan. Is that SOP?

-- Robert

Using depth averaging and deco on the fly will not make sense to you unless you get some training on how to use the tools. In fact, all this thread has done is argue the merits of such a system vs computers, but it still has not given the exact methods and how to do it; leaving people wondering if it's legit or not. Trust me when I say that it is...it's just not for the masses.

rsanders:
So is GUE teaching people to use the Force or is there actual, predictable math involved? :) Also, I had assumed this method was intended to be used as a very rough approximation when things went sideways, but it sounds like people are using this on the fly rather than following a pre-dive plan. Is that SOP?
-- Robert

The Force is described by Obi-Wan Kenobi as "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." The Force is life, and life is the Force. Some think of the Force as a sentient entity that may be capable of intelligent thought—almost as if it were a sort of God—while others simply consider it a thing that can be manipulated.

In the original trilogy, there were two aspects of the Force given emphasis: the light side (never directly called such in the movies) and the dark side. These are concerned with the moral compass of the Force in its various manifestations. The light side of the Force is the facet of that energy field aligned with good, benevolence, and healing. The dark side of the Force is the element aligned with fear, hatred, aggression, and malevolence; this side of the Force seems more powerful, though it is just more tempting to those that can touch upon the power. In the prequel trilogy, the Force was also described with two additional aspects: the Unifying Force and the Living Force. These aspects were not largely expanded upon in the films, but in the Expanded Universe they are defined by prominent Jedi philosophies. The Unifying Force essentially embraces space and time in its entirety. The Living Force deals with the directly ongoing niches present in the Force.

It can only be harnessed by a minority of beings described as "Force-sensitive." These have been defined as either having a high count of microorganisms called midi-chlorians—the more midi-chlorians, the greater the person's Force ability—or having a strong Force "aura." It is probable that these traits are connected. Force-adepts are able to tap into the Force to perform acts of great skill and agility and control its various embodying powers.

Now how's about getting some honest to goodness education, drinking some koolaid and gettin some of that Force underwater??:D

Sincerely,
H2

I'm pretty sure GUE instructors posses this force!
:wink:

HarryH97:
The Force is described by Obi-Wan Kenobi as "an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together." The Force is life, and life is the Force. Some think of the Force as a sentient entity that may be capable of intelligent thought—almost as if it were a sort of God—while others simply consider it a thing that can be manipulated.

In the original trilogy, there were two aspects of the Force given emphasis: the light side (never directly called such in the movies) and the dark side. These are concerned with the moral compass of the Force in its various manifestations. The light side of the Force is the facet of that energy field aligned with good, benevolence, and healing. The dark side of the Force is the element aligned with fear, hatred, aggression, and malevolence; this side of the Force seems more powerful, though it is just more tempting to those that can touch upon the power. In the prequel trilogy, the Force was also described with two additional aspects: the Unifying Force and the Living Force. These aspects were not largely expanded upon in the films, but in the Expanded Universe they are defined by prominent Jedi philosophies. The Unifying Force essentially embraces space and time in its entirety. The Living Force deals with the directly ongoing niches present in the Force.

It can only be harnessed by a minority of beings described as "Force-sensitive." These have been defined as either having a high count of microorganisms called midi-chlorians—the more midi-chlorians, the greater the person's Force ability—or having a strong Force "aura." It is probable that these traits are connected. Force-adepts are able to tap into the Force to perform acts of great skill and agility and control its various embodying powers.

Now how's about getting some honest to goodness education, drinking some koolaid and gettin some of that Force underwater??:D

Sincerely,
H2

boomx5:
Using depth averaging and deco on the fly will not make sense to you unless you get some training on how to use the tools. In fact, all this thread has done is argue the merits of such a system vs computers, but it still has not given the exact methods and how to do it; leaving people wondering if it's legit or not. Trust me when I say that it is...it's just not for the masses.

This is exactly what I wanted... I'm not gonna learn to be proficient on something like this off SB... I'll spend the money on a class instead.

Randy43068:
I'm pretty sure GUE instructors posses this force!
:wink:

Wow Harry that was...er... umm...... kinda scarry how you can relate all that so well... I think we'll name you.... Yodi-won :anakinpod

Of course if you want to not have to rely on the force you can just strap a picture of GI3 to you arm and look at it as you ascend.. this will ensure that you do not get bent! :D

JOKE!!!.. It's only a JOKE....

Thanks for the link but I have read all that WKPP stuff and GI mostly beats his chest about how much he knows but passes little of it on. Still I ask as have several others especially since it has been noted this is not provided in DIRF classes---what table do you use and what procedure is used to apply that table? I do not see this anywhere including in this thread. I could be missing it at the WKPP site? Why not just post a pic of the table here? Is it the Navy tables with a DIR twist? or is it just hocus pocus? I know the Navy tables by heart and can compute them on the fly with averaging and safety hedge--if that is all this is about maybe I should teach the DIRF class, I don't believe in secrets when peoples life is at stake. I know the secret handshake too, does that get me into the executive bathroom? N

waynne fowler:
Wow Harry that was...er... umm...... kinda scarry how you can relate all that so well... I think we'll name you.... Yodi-won :anakinpod

Of course if you want to not have to rely on the force you can just strap a picture of GI3 to you arm and look at it as you ascend.. this will ensure that you do not get bent! :D

JOKE!!!.. It's only a JOKE....
Wayne...

Nemrod:
or is it just hocus pocus?
Yes

Nemrod:
I don't believe in secrets when peoples life is at stake. I know the secret handshake too, does that get me into the executive bathroom? N
Some don't believe learning how to dive on the internet is a good thing either. Oh...BTW its not a table.

"Some don't believe learning how to dive on the internet is a good thing either. Oh...BTW its not a table.

OK, it is not a table, it is not taught in the DIRF class, the WKPP site is about a 19,000 foot cave dive so again where is this method written down and upon what is it based. Provide the text, link or whatever please. Oh, btw, I di not learn to dive on the internet, God taught me how to dive and he did not whisper in my ear the tables, he inscribed them in stone and they make great ballast too. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom