Computers & DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back on track. Regardless of where your diving takes you from simple recreational to more complex technical, a computer just isn't necessary if one understands how compressed gases effect your personal body over depth and time. The computer is more of an annoyance when it calls for stops that do not adapt to your personal physiology.

Before getting educated on deco/ascent strategies, I never really paid attention to how my body felt after the dive nor how to dive without a computer. I just happen to be more attuned to my body now and can readjust my ascent strategy regardless if it's 50 ft or 150 ft for 5 mins or 50 mins all without a computer.

As for getting minor Type I hits to include tiredness after diving, I probably had more of those when I was diving a computer and on air, but never knew how to fix it since you're only taught do your safety stop and follow the computer or table.

As for running ascent tests, it's more applicable for technical divers with use of Trimix and deco gas. You'll find little variation and never feel great with use of air in recreational exposures, much less in technical or nonrecreational applications. Unless nitrogen narcosis therapy is your definition of feeling great. Nonetheless, you're already bent going into the water with a high concentration of N2.

Sincerely,
H2

sorry if this has been covered, but what GUE class teaches you to dive without
a computer?

well, i took DIR-F and this wasn't covered, so no, not all of them

my DIR-F had J.J. and David Rhea (sp?) present, and nothing was mentioned
by the instructors (who were being observed) or as comments by either J.J.
or David Rhea.

i figured it was an advanced thing, mostly to do with deco

It's a pretty simple concept, really. Given depths that are reasonably close together and in a standard deep->shallow profile, you can pretty much average the depths. As the depths get more and more disparate or the profiles become reversed, you need to weight the deeper part a bit more.

There is no hard and fast formula, that I am aware of. It's a lot of estimation and common sense.

right, but i wonder if there is a class where an instructor will cover this stuff
in depth so that i can feel comfortable ditching the 'puter afterwards

H2Andy:
right, but i wonder if there is a class where an instructor will cover this stuff
in depth so that i can feel comfortable ditching the 'puter afterwards

Download vplanner...
Play with it using various multi-level plans...
See how it affects the ascent profile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom