computer which one to have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vic n col

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a computer at Dive 2003 show Birmingham and I am not sure what to go for. All my friends keep suggesting the ones that they have but they might not be right for me. What I need is somthing not too complicated to work easy to wear show water temp dive time deco time etc are there any suggestions you can give me as I now dont have a clue

I'm as bad as the rest of your buddies, as I'm just going to tell you which one I like. I dive with two different Oceanic models, in case one fails; it happens, and I don't want to miss a day of a dive trip because I have to sit out a puter failure. :angry:

I really like the Versa Pro - simple to understand, large screen and numbers for easy viewing, automatic activation when it gets wet - in case you forget, audible alarms, lots of user friendly options.

But it's probably like shopping for cars. After you see a few, which do you really like, and how much will you spend. Two very important suggestions:

(1) Don't even think about getting an Air Only puter! You'll want Nitrrox soon enough, or - if you quit diving, it'll resell better. Nitrox puters work on Air just fine, but Air puters don't handle Nitrox.

(2) Don't believe a computer's thermometer. They're slow to adjust, and for some reason - vary greatly. The one on your SPG is better.

happy shopping, don

Some things to consider:
- the most important feature IMO is that you can see all relevant information clearly and easily; on some computers (e.g. Mares) it is hard to see if a number refers to bottom time, depth or non-deco time. Personally I like the graphic bars that give you a visual clue about your gas loading.
- automatic activation is very handy; my computer does not have it and it is a big pain to find out at 40' down that you forgot to turn on the computer.
- user replaceable batteries are a very big plus; batteries always die when it is most inconvenient.
- nitrox capability is nice if you think you may want to do this in the future.

I personally use an Aeris Atmos Pro and highly recommend it, but I am sure there are planty of other good models.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Hey Ron,

Ever compare similar models of the two brands. the Owners Manuals are word for word the same on some. Both made by Palgic, I think? :scratch:

don :boogie:

Another vote for the Versa Pro. I have a VT Pro, basically the hoseless AI version of the Versa Pro, but used to have a Versa Pro. I really liked both, simple to use, big clear display and all the info you need. As previously stated, Nitrox ability is a must too.

Dandydon is correct. Pelagic (an Oceanic subsidiary) make the Oceanic and Aeris computers and also other some other brands I believe, and apart from some minor display differences, they are pretty much the same.

First decide how much you can or want to spend
and then go from there

Personally I have a Suunto Vyper. For
the diving I am doing right now it is probably
overkill but once I start diving with Nitrox
I wont have to upgrade to another computer

correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Pelagic
computers use a more aggressive alogorhythm
than the Sunnto....

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Pelagic
computers use a more aggressive alogorhythm
than the Sunnto....

I've heard this too, although I never try and push the computer limits anyway. I recently played around with the TLBG alarm and if you set it lower, you will certainly have a more conservative tissue loading profile. After saying that I did 8 dives in 30 hrs all at 65'+ for 30+ minutes each and never moved the TLBG out of the green.

Conservative puters:

I've read opinions that suggested Oceanic puters were more liberal, and my reaction is to stay well within safe limits, which I think is a healthy approach.

An owner of a "more conservative" model might be tempted to push its limits. Maybe it's a personal thing, as I fear I might rationalize along those lines.

Diving Nitrox on Air Puters "For Extra Safety"

The "Safety" question about nitrogen loading is a non-issue, as nitrogen hits are so rare. Diving Nitrox on a Nitrox puter has such a good safety record unless I'm misunderstood something that there's not a real safety increase to consider.

In fact, I think I recall from training that diving Nitrox on air puters with Nitrox charts is too complicated for what I'd call good safety.

The other Satety aspects of Nitox diving is in the two Oxygen areas, and an Air puter would do nothing for the diver here.

My thoughts, anyway...

thanks, don

Oceanic state you should always leave the water while in the green on the TLBG, good advice I'd say. The NDL's used by Oceanic are mostly greater than Doppler NDL's, for single dives anyway. For repetitive dives you can set the TLBG alarm as low as you want, thus making the computer more conservative.

Using an air computer and EAN32 is definitely one way of diving, as long as you watch the MOD, but may well give rise to a false of security. It is not such a good decision if you are doing repetitive dives, although you could manually calculate your O2 clock, but a Nitox computer would be better in my limited view. I personally prefer to plan my mix for the dives I will be doing, so may be switching between several mixes on the same trip. I'm much happier having my computer track everything for me and diving conservatively regarding NDL's.

first...vic...
i use the genesis resource air computer (even when i dive nitrox but that comes later) and there is a nitrox version...the react.

Both are affordable...dependable...backed well by the company...easy to read...i can change batteries...yada yada...and go with the wrist mount.

don....
diving nitrox with an air computer is adds a degree of safety if....
1. you dont stretch what the air pc says. Follow it like youre suppose to and all should be ok...

however...there is always a catch.

IF you are doing a two tank dive on the weekend...then I would doubt you would need to worry about your oxy %. However, if you are on say a liveaboard....or on vacation and making 2 or 3 dives a day....several days in a row......you could still follow the air pc and benefit....but... you MUST track your oxy % or pay a serious price.

diving nitrox and using an air pc is good for "larger...or ...older...or larger and older" people. Each of these three categories retain nitrogen more that younger thinner people.

if you think nitrox will take you deeper longer....review your nitrox book or take the course...

Always watch your ppo and oxy% and you should be ok...

Back
Top Bottom