Computer to Log Book Reconciliation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

qwerty988

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy!

The first piece of equipment I bought was a dive computer. Everybody, including my instructor, said that should be the first purchase. I got a Suunto D9 with transmitter and I am very happy about that purchase. Obviously, the major advantages of the dive computer are accurate dive data and more bottom time.

The second feature is what I am struggling with at the moment. I am attempting to translate the dive logs back to my log book. According to my computer logs, I finished the day with some bottom time left for the day. However, using the "textbook dive table", I run out of bottom time about 2/3rds the way through my last dive.

I am still down in the teens on dive count and want to keep tracking my dives in my log book. So, how do you reconcile from computer to paper log?

Thanks,
Chris

I have an Oceanic computer with a graphical display of N2 loading, which is kind of equivalent to pressure groups on a table. I just log the number of bars on the N2 loading graph and also record the number of bars on the ascent graph (it tells if I misbehaved and had rapid ascent at anytime during the dive).

I don't think the Suunto D9 has the equivalent record, but perhaps it has average depth for the dive. In that case, just log both max depth and average depth as well as times.

The more multilevel your dive (ie lots of time spent much shallower than max depth) the further the discrepancy between your computer and your table calculations will be. At some point it simply makes no sense to bother with the square profile table calculations.

It's your log. Log what you think will be useful to you in the future.

If you're diving with the computer, use the information the computer gives you and not what the dive tables say. Dive tables take maximum depth and bottom time into consideration, but do not have allowances for how much of that bottom time was actually spent at the maximum depth and that's where you're getting the discrepancy. If your maximum depth was 60' but you only spent a few minutes there and considerably more time at 40', the dive table will only allow you the amount of bottom time for a 60' dive. The computer will change your NDL as your depth changes.

Dive tables assume a square dive. Computers give more accurate answers, since they constantly recalculate your nitrogen loading. Since you're using a Suunto, I'd guess you're using their software? Just print out your log and stick it in a book. Presto! Instant reconciliation! :)

Good job you have a Suunto. Dive manager is a great piece of software. Download your dives into DM, and then add notes as to location boat, buddies, dm, kit and notes on the dive itself. You can attach photos to the record, and then keep you log on a usb stick, lighter and more portable than a logbook. If you want a hard copy print the dives and file. You get a graphical dive profile, a graph of water temp, and SAC throughout the dive, a graphical representation of your theoretical tissue N2 loading, as well as the information you entered. I print in booklet form ie 4 dives per A4 page, duplex 2 on the front and 2 on the back, cut the paper in half and file in one of these, Dive-Logs.com - Dive Logs compact scuba binder . It is impossible to adequately fill in the dive profile of a multilevel dive in a meaningful way in a standard logbook designed for square patterns.

I print my dives via Dive Manager and file them in a ring file. Easy as that.

Gee...sometimes you can't see the round hole from the square peg. I have Dive Manager on my computer and I have put all kinds of notes and detail in there. I never once thought about printing from there. HA!

I knew you guys would be able to straighten me out.

Thanks,
--Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom