Computer suggestions for first time buyer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my Aeris Atmos Elite. Intuitive interface, great functionality, hoseless air integration, fantastic computer overall.

gj62:
The Vyper and the Versa Pro use different decompression models. I believe the Vyper is a more conservative computer, especially on multiple dives...

They use different models yes but the more conservative on multiple dives i havent found any real evidence to support this. Most ones i tried simulated next to other computers and tables didnt work out much different at all provided you had a sensible surface interval.

Hmmm - I'd take a look at this:

http://www.underwaterbob.com/dive_computers.htm

The Vyper is definitely more conservative - again, that may not be a bad thing, but as I use a computer on diving vacations where I'm doing 3+ a day, it does become restrictive for people that use the Vyper (my experience anyways)...

I have dove the Mares M1 for 2 years now, and have found it to be a computer that I can enthusiastically recommend. It accommodates Air, Nitrox, and Bottom Timer modes very easily. Two of the features I like best is the use of AAA batteries, that can be purchased anywhere in the world. As well as the ability to turn on the backlight, and leave it on for the duration of the dive. This second feature is a real plus, as it allows you to merely glance at your computer during a night dive and not have to push any buttons, which always seems to cause divers to wave their lights around while doing so. (Very annoying) The backlight is the same type of light that is used in most digital watches, which is a cool blue light that illuminates the entire display area.

I would give this dive computer serious consideration.

pt40fathoms:
I have dove the Mares M1 for 2 years now, and have found it to be a computer that I can enthusiastically recommend.

pt40fathoms...i just read your post about the m1 computer. Reading the mares web site i can think its features are quite interesting..but i posted a thread some time ago looking for futher info i most people complains a lot about the computer....it´s a shame because it makes a great deal comparing with others in the same price range...(cheaper than gekko with much more features...

The complaints I have heard first hand about the M1 (not from the internet, but from people I know) are as follows:

1. The buttons can be hard to push, expecially when wearing heavy gloves.

I have found this to be true for my unit as well. However the only time I push the buttons underwater is to activate the night light. For this I just use my light or some other hard object to push on the buttons when wearing gloves.

2. The PC interface does not work properly all the time.

This too I have found this with my unit. I have through trial and error figured out how to make it work.

3. The User Manual is not very detailed, and the instruction manual for the PC interface is all but usless.

Both true as well.

In conclusion, I would have to say that this being the extent of the complaints about the computer, then Mares has a very good unit. I have not known anyone who has had a faulty unit, or a unit fail durring a dive. This claim can not be made about some other computers, some of which are being recommended by individuals on this board.

In the water where it counts, this computer works very well.

I would suggest either oceanic or genesis. I would stay away from any "transmitter" type computer just because I work with electronics every day and they are not to be trusted. I am sure there will be comment about that...but...for me...a simple wrist computer is the way to go.
Rich

RICHinNC:
I would suggest either oceanic or genesis. I would stay away from any "transmitter" type computer just because I work with electronics every day and they are not to be trusted. I am sure there will be comment about that...but...for me...a simple wrist computer is the way to go.
Rich

Here's the comment, probably not the one you were expecting. I have no problem with your opinion on dive computers, but it bothers me to see you making comments to the effect that you are some type of expert in the field of electronics. By prefacing your comments with this, it leads to the conclusion that your comments should carry more weight, since you possess knowledge of electronics (a very broad field).

Do you work specifically with the kinds of transmitters used in dive computers on a day-to-day basis? Which ones? Are they analog transmitters or the digital?

There's a good number of folks who 'work with electronics every day'. However, unless your experience is quite specific and relates the kinds of transmitters used in dive computers, you might as well say 'I wouldn't use those transmitters because I train show dogs all day long'. It really doesn't make you any sort of expert on the subject. So, what you are left with is simply an opinion.

Me? I hold a BS in electrical engineering, and before I went the law school route, I worked in the PC industry for 7 years (with electronics every day). Personally, I have a VT Pro and I love it. Would I dive it in a overhead environment or without an SPG? Probably not, but I haven't had a problem with lost/erroneous signals either. Plenty of people trust them, plenty of people have no problems with them.

Many people swear by the Oceanic Versa Pro. I'm on my third one in less than two years so I am not as enthusiastic about them as I used to be. Certainly in my mind it had all the features that I was looking for, it's simple to set options and has an easy to read display, as well as a user replaceable battery. Just seems to me to have a high failure rate.

snodine:
I am Advanced Open Water and NITROX certified and I'm looking to take more training this year.

I am looking into finally breaking down and getting a dive computer. Any suggestions about brands, models, etc. would be appreciated. I have a regulator, BCD, and console setup but am thinking it is time to upgrade.

Any comments, questions, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

Steve

If you are interested in Hoseless Air Integrated I would suggest you look at the Cochran Gemini, it is a little on the expensive side when compared with some of the other computers that have been reccomended here but is more richly featured. If you want to get a computer that is not Air Integrated the Cochran Commander might be a good choice.

Both of these computers are (if purchased with the appropriate software) able to deal with either air or NITROX, and easily switch between the two. If the conservatism is left at 0 they are pretty aggressive computers, if you want to you can adjust the conservatism up to a value of 50 to make it really conservative. The number represents a percentage value, for example a 23 setting will cause the computer to use a depth 23% deeper than your actual depth for nitrogen calculations. This method is really easy for most divers to understand, you can change the conservatism setting for each dive during a day if you wish. You can pay later for software upgrades to multiple gasses if your diving evolves in that direction.

Both computers can be mounted on your wrist, a retractor, in a consloe, or hose mount if you wish. The Gemini is hoseless air integrated, so if you mount it in a console this is how the air pressure information will get to the computer. The wireless transmition is using magnetic waves so it is not affected by water or the human body or most of the gear that will be between the transmitter and your wrist. It can be affected by your tank or other large metal objects in the path of the signal. Both computers have user replacable batteries that can be replaced in the middle of an extended dive vacation without losing your important information that will affect the calculations it makes. Made in the USA if that matters to you.

Some of the things you need to know about the computer are, the company has had difficulty in the past with reliability, and customer service. Some people on this board have been burned by this company and will swear that the computers suck, I will be the first person to say that they are entitled to their opinion. They are also entitled to tell you about their opinion. My personal experience has been good. You need to decide for yourself. The computers are extremely flexible and you should thoroughly understand how to use them before you dive. There are lots of settings and options to fine tune the computer to your particular diving preferences.

www.divecochran.com

I am just a diver, I don't work for cochran, nor do I personally know anyone that does. I do own one of their computers and am happy with it.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom