computer redundancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clearly the first option A & B........

But I already said that I dive two computers with the same algorithm and have purchased them to ensure we have same NDL.....

We dive together as a family and prefer the conservative algorithm......

M

Just posted this response moments ago in another thread ...

"I still argue for full redundancy ...

We dive with an AI computer on a hose (Oceanic Pro Plus 2), a wrist computer of the same brand/algorithm (Oceanic Veo 250), an SPG, and a watch/bottom timer. Odds are good we'll get through the dive/trip. We've (wife/buddy and I) both had failures of our primary AI computers on an extended, expensive trip (not the same trip for both of us), and had to fall back on the backups. I'm glad we had them."

Last edited:
but let me set out a scenario:

Computers A and B use the same decompression model and (combined) have all the features one is looking for...

Computers C and D use different decompression models and (combined) have all the features one is looking for.

All things being equal, which ones would you choose?

Let me be an ass:dork2:, and complicate things. :D
Do computers A and B have the same circuit boards, running the same version software?

Seriously, just using the same decompression model doesn't guarantee two computers being identical, and in my mind, identical means having the same hardware-software combination. In this case, specific conditions MAY lead to simultaneous computer breakdown. (If we're talking about glitches in the deco model, the story would be different)

Which goes back to my question as to whether you would dive with two of the same first stage regulators. Wouldn't fear of systemic failure transcend all equipment choices?

Me and my diving buddy use the same brand and version of computer and, on diving trips, dive the same profile (no brainer as she is my diving buddy). Therefore, there is my computer redundancy.

Referring to an earlier post on the subject by Capt Frank, I do not recall ever seeing that dive computers were compulsory on charters and live aboards. Therefore what do they do if folks just show up with wheels, dive tables, waterproof watches and analog console?...How would their diving be monitored?

...disregard the second section of my comment....should have been posted on the thread....My computer just died or words to that effect.

Always two. I love Sunnto given conservative settings. I have a vyper and an old stinger. I also have a standard pressure guage that I keep in my pocket in case all hell breaks lose.

I am lucky (?) to have ~40 dive computers here in the office - from simple one button / air only to multi-gas trimix machines - and I can use anyone I want (or 2 ... or 3) ... but for the local shore diving (wetsuit, HP100, BP-W, max depth 60ft) I am limited by how soon I get cold :( .... so a dive computer is kind of optional .... most of the time I stick to the Galileo.

For boat diving or dive trips it is another story. I bring alone at least 2 dive computers.

The coolest combination I tried was a Datamask + an OC1 sharing the same transmitter plus the Galileo with its own transmitter.

Next time I dive locally (if weather permits ) ..... I will bring along a nice Orca Edge :D

prins_willem_edge.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I use two computers. aeris t3 air integrated on wrist, and aeris xr1 backup in console. for nitrox diving, i use extra gekco wrist mount.

I have three dive computers. Two are from TUSA and have identical algorithms. One is a DR NiTek3 with an ever so slighly less conservative algorithm.

When taking a dive trip where we're doing only 'recreational' profiles, My IQ-800 is primary and my NiTek3 is secondary. I like the display of the IQ-800 and its silent vibrating alarm feature.

If we're doing a trip involving any two mix diving, my IQ-700 is primary and Nitek3 is secondary.

The IQ-700 and NiTek3 were both on the Bikini Atoll Divers 'approved for Bikini' list.

And, I have my buddy's redundant setup only she always dives an IQ-700 and a NiTek3.

Never had a dive computer malfunction yet but if it does happen to either one of us, our brains know what to check with each other as well as what was last displayed before noticing some abberant display reading

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom