Computer purchase progression suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just read a good thread on computer selection, “Question about dive computers,” which brings me to some related incompletely addressed questions regarding a recreational diver looking to buy their first gear set?

Clearly a computer is an appropriate purchase today, but there are many choices/options, as discussed. To help in that selection for me, what is the general consensus on buying a AI console computer, and no conventional depth/pressure gauges to start with. (Maybe something like the Aqualung i550 which is available today for about $400.) As the diver progresses, then he/she would buy a more capable wrist computer, and use that console computer, to be the designated backup. There appears to be a possible advantage to delay the purchase of this advanced computer, not so much for technical capabilities, but for ongoing improvements in visibility/user interface improvements.

Make sense? Suggestions and thoughts!

UPDATE: My take away so far from the 9 posted thread recommendations are to get a Shearwater with AI, with some sort of compact backup, which at a minimum could be a pressure gauge or a pressure measuring computer console. For reduced long term expenditures, a pressure gauge console is a good value and good enough. Make sense to everyone?

Ditch the console idea. Big and bulky. I cannot fathom why some people are so attached to them!

Wrist computer that does AI and a plain SPG. That’s it. You can get the AL computer you mentioned in a wrist model.

My first set of gear was an air integrated console, never used an analog set from that point on. (Except pool training now)

When I finally got an air integrated wrist, I kept the console as backup on every dive, and am happy to continue doing so. Having a backup on a dive trip with multiple dives every day means if something goes south I don’t have to sit out 24 hours and miss a full day. Only needs to happen once to make it a worthwhile investment, IMO. Backup doesn’t HAVE to be air integrated, but that was the choice I made.

Agree with ditching the console idea. My recommendation for those looking for a DC is to get a secondhand Shearwater and foget about all the other options available today.

step 1:
buy a Shearwater Teric (or a Perdix AI)

there is no step 2 needed.

console computers I might consider are the Oceanic ProPlus 3 or the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt which has been teased as a wrist mount for years.

Pelagic Pressure - who made the Oceanic line was sold to Aqualung fairly recently and is making their current line.

I bought a wrist computer pretty quickly after my first cert (non-AI Suunto Vyper - second hand). It has served me really well (now passed on to my partner).

When I got my own regs I also got a non-AI console (it has computer + spg) - the thought at the time was console computer as backup.

I am having regrets - like a few of my initial purchases. It’s big and it’s bulky. I’ve added a bolt snap to keep it close, but it’s still big. Seriously considering ditching it, and just putting on an spg.

For diving at home I don’t need a backup computer, and to be honest the chance of my Perdix AI (which has replaced the Vyper) dying on a trip feels vanishingly remote. If I do feel the need for a backup I’ll get a second wrist computer.

If you have a Perdix , you're set.

Does Oceanic still sell the BUD? It was a puck computer in a boot with a clip attached so you could clip it off to your BC. Inexpensive and you could tweak the algorithm to match your other computer.
B.U.D.

Just read a good thread on computer selection, “Question about dive computers,” which brings me to some related incompletely addressed questions regarding a recreational diver looking to buy their first gear set?

Clearly a computer is an appropriate purchase today, but there are many choices/options, as discussed. To help in that selection for me, what is the general consensus on buying a AI console computer, and no conventional depth/pressure gauges to start with. (Maybe something like the Aqualung i550 which is available today for about $400.) As the diver progresses, then he/she would buy a more capable wrist computer, and use that console computer, to be the designated backup. There appears to be a possible advantage to delay the purchase of this advanced computer, not so much for technical capabilities, but for ongoing improvements in visibility/user interface improvements.

Make sense? Suggestions and thoughts!
Consoles are like wrecking balls for reefs.

They might contain two or more of computer, depth gauge, compass and contents gauge (SPG). The depth gauge is completely pointless as your computer does that and does it better on your wrist where you can look at it if lifting a casualty and so using both hands.. A compass can work on the wrist or as a computer feature or on a lanyard. It isn’t as good on the wrist as on a console but is good enough to eliminate the wrecking ball. This only leaves the contents gauge. Some people (not me) use AI to replace the mechanical gauge. I don’t want the hassle of failing to set it up stopping my dive. A properly secured contents gauge is safe for the environment and requires only a little skill to unclip and reclip when reading it. Choose a large p-clip and consider what gloves you might be wearing.

To help in that selection for me, what is the general consensus on buying a AI console computer, and no conventional depth/pressure gauges to start with. (Maybe something like the Aqualung i550 which is available today for about $400.) As the diver progresses, then he/she would buy a more capable wrist computer, and use that console computer, to be the designated backup.
Just buy one computer and dive it. Most divers will never go technical, and those who will often know well in advance.

Conventional pressure gauges are more reliable as a backup. Depth gauge backup isn't necessary (for rec). Tec doesn't use AI.
Consoles are suitable only for specific styles of diving - you don't carry one to e.g. sidemount, just a small SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom